Canon Ring Flash ML-3 + Canon EOS 20D

carlos_grupilo

Not really:

http://photonotes.org/cgi-bin/camera-flash-lookup.pl?cameraType=eos20d&flashType=canonml3

You need an E-TTL compatible unit. That could either be a macro flash (Canon has 2 fairly expensive options, and Sigma has one), or using a regular E-TTL compatible flash on an offshoe cord. I find the latter works well, and allows some quite flexible lighting using a simple reflector, and perhaps a slave for the background.

I only dabble in macro, and when I got into the EOS system about 3 years ago, I blanched at the prices of the current macro ring flash units.

"Just for fun," I tried a few macro shots with my 420EX mounted on my 10D and pointed straight ahead, with a Sto-Fen OmniBounce attached. I was amazed at the high quality of the results! More than good enough for my purposes.

I have used my Canon Ring Flash ML-3 with a Canon D60. The way I got it to work is to use a piece of film negative and cut a template to block certain pins of the hotshoe. It is well documented on a website that I believe is by Julian Loke. The flash will fire at full power every time but will not lock-up. It's then a simple matter of checking your histogram for exposure and adjust aperture (camera should be in Manual mode) accordingly. If you want less depth of field, then partially block the flashbulbs with slivers of black tape.