Canon RF to Nikon Z adaptor?

andrew_storey

Tilt shift lenses are bread and butter tools for my work as an architecture photographer. I am considering purchasing a Nikon Z72 (I now shoot with a D850). Rumor has it that Canon is about to release a 24mm tilt shift lens. I suspect I will be waiting a very long time for Nikon to do something similar. Does anyone know if it it technically feasible to create an adaptor to enable use of RF lenses on the Z mount? I'm wondering if we can likely expect such an adaptor to hit the market. Thanks.

Since the flange focal length of the Z mount is 4mm shorter than the R mount, it should be feasible to produce such a converter, though I would not hold my breath waiting for it. There are converters to mount an EF lens on a Z camera, so that option currently exists.
  • Like 2

Don't wait for Canon..

Why not put a current Nikon 24mm TC-E on a Z7II via FTZ?

I've got that lens and it's decent. However, the ergonomics aren't great and it suffers from field curvature a bit. It's also not the sharpest when approaching maximum shift. The 19 PCE is terrific however. Throwing my D850 in crop mode (1.2x) brings it to a 22mm, so this is a work-around. Not ideal, however.

Me thinks you protesteth too much for a fictional possible future Canon lens.

Worth using what you can actually use NOW.

You can't use future promised lenses.....yet :(

.. and an adapter for a non-existent lens.. humm..!

Well, Canon has led the way with tilt shift lenses for years. The birth of mirrorless is a logical line in the sand to consider the possibility of switching to Canon. I'd rather not so I'm weighing options. Also, I'm full-time with photography; this isn't only a hobby for me.

Life Lessons learned:

Buy what is now available if you need it.

Never wait for an item promised or, worse, rumored to be coming "real soon now"

history: WAAAY back there, I switched to Nikon from Pentax so I could use the PC-Nikkor 35mm f/2.8

Then I switched to Canon digital full-frame to use the same (totally manual anyhow) lens.

When the Canon TS-E 17mm came out, I got it.

Tilt AND shift in use with TS-E 17mm

IL-SIU-TS-E-17mm-121115_16r.thumb.jpg.79048d91c01b1cbda7f5f20756589c10.jpg

Personally, I'm going to wait for the mirrorless cameras to mature a little more before I leap, if ever. Mirrorless is the camera of the future, but I'm not sure the future is quite here yet.

• Like 2

I am considering purchasing a Nikon Z72 (I now shoot with a D850).

Just curious, but what does mirrorless bring to the table that your D850 doesn't?

I love my D850, although to be fair, the 'old' 28mm f3.5 PC, isn't great with full shift. Now with the 85mm T&S PC it's just peachy.

I'd be inclined to wait for the Z8/9 and an adapter.....4mm diff is easy to accommodate, I'm surprised it doesn't exist already.

Any adapter is going to lose aperture control, etc., which with newer electronic-everything lenses might be a total bust.

Is there an adapter for any Canon lens to Nikon Z that allows full aperture control? If so, and it costs nearly as much as a Canon body, then what's the point?

• Like 1

I'd pretty much consider FULL-AUTO anything on a T&S lens to be a bit un-necessary.

The only possible use for AF would be some weird focus-stacking plan.... with movements....:D

They are slow-to-use lenses in the first place and with digital you can see when you've messed up, unlike film of all formats, and fix it in the next exposure. I remember (occasionally) forgetting to stop down before tripping the shutter. On a 5 x 4 monorail with technical pan, it got kinda expensive! Same with the Mamiya645 shift.

Which one?

Simple the R5 until Canon comes out with a better one and the 24mm tilt shift lens in Canon RF mount but it's still only a rumor.

So when the lens comes out at that time buy the best RF body from Canon. The Nikon Z won't be able to do better than a Canon body with the RF lens. (although no Canon body can use any Z lenses).

• Like 1

So he buys a camera he can't use for anything for, maybe, another 5 years or maybe never.

Canon has a lens Road Map, abit like Nikon and there's no T&S lens on it.

So is that really a good use of cash?

Good use of cash? He has to answer that question. He has tilt shift lens in F mount and he can either use it on either a D or Z body but he wanted RF lens. If you are that picky you pay the cash and get what works best.

Yes.

What would you do Q.G.?

What i said: go on with what actually is instead of waiting for something that may never come. Wasn't that clear?

For the OP: use the tilt lens you have on the camera you have. If you want a Z7II instead of a D850, go for it. You can still use the lens you have. If the lens you have is not up to your expectations, an existing Canon (or whatever other brand) lens is, and the difference is important enough to justify the expenditure, get that better lens and a camera that will take it.

All pretty obvious, i think.

Edited by q.g._de_bakker