Canon remote shooting through your home wireless router

Mark Keefer

Just passing this along for anyone interested in trying this.

I have set up both my Canon 6D and Canon 5D MK IV to shoot wirelessly tethered to my computer via Wi-Fi through my wireless home router. It was pretty easy, not much different than setting up your smartphone to work over your home wireless internet, just set the camera to connect to your wireless router and give it your wireless router password and save it.

As soon as either of my cameras turns on the Wi-Fi, the EOS utility on my Windows computer automatically starts, just like when it detects the camera plugged in with the USB, but this works wirelessly. Of course, you have the choice of shooting remotely or downloading images just like hooking up via USB.

I am finding this comes in handy when I am doing some lens testing or project at home.

I would imagine it would be possible to set up a wireless router if you were doing a shoot someplace and have the router travel to your shoot, but the RAW images downloading over Wi-Fi might tend to bottleneck your workflow. The RAW images don't transfer as fast as using a cable. While it seems cool, it might be a little unpractical to have images display during a live shoot of a wedding reception. But perhaps if you were using more than one camera, you could have one camera displaying images.

But for a small home project, it is really cool and so easy to use, just turn on the Wi-Fi Communications on the camera and poof you are connected to the computer and the computer still is connected to your network so no hassle of disconnecting it from your Wi-Fi and directly connecting the computer to the camera Wi-Fi and losing internet on your computer.

I also set up a NAS hard drive on my home network, a home cloud, so I have a network hard drive of 8 TB mapped and available for my laptop, I can still access my cloud hard drive, internet, and my cameras all wirelessly and hassle-free.

I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

• Like 1
Cheers, Mark

Just passing this along for anyone interested in trying this.

I have set up both my Canon 6D and Canon 5D MK IV to shoot wirelessly tethered to my computer via Wi-Fi through my wireless home router. It was pretty easy, not much different than setting up your smartphone to work over your home wireless internet, just set the camera to connect to your wireless router and give it your wireless router password and save it.

As soon as either of my cameras turns on the Wi-Fi, the EOS utility on my Windows computer automatically starts, just like when it detects the camera plugged in with the USB, but this works wirelessly. Of course, you have the choice of shooting remotely or downloading images just like hooking up via USB.

I am finding this comes in handy when I am doing some lens testing or project at home.

I would imagine it would be possible to set up a wireless router if you were doing a shoot someplace and have the router travel to your shoot, but the RAW images downloading over Wi-Fi might tend to bottleneck your workflow. The RAW images don't transfer as fast as using a cable. While it seems cool, it might be a little unpractical to have images display during a live shoot of a wedding reception. But perhaps if you were using more than one camera, you could have one camera displaying images.

But for a small home project, it is really cool and so easy to use, just turn on the Wi-Fi Communications on the camera and poof you are connected to the computer and the computer still is connected to your network so no hassle of disconnecting it from your Wi-Fi and directly connecting the computer to the camera Wi-Fi and losing internet on your computer.

I also set up a NAS hard drive on my home network, a home cloud, so I have a network hard drive of 8 TB mapped and available for my laptop, I can still access my cloud hard drive, internet, and my cameras all wirelessly and hassle-free.

I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

I tried using wi-fi to transfer files when I had my product photography studio. I found the transfer speed of RAW files to be too slow for my use. It took about 5 seconds to transfer over a wired USB connection and about 40 seconds over wi-fi. Too slow for my shooting style.

YMMV