Canon Rebel XTi macro versus Kodak dx7440 macro

manasi

I used to have a Kodak dx7440 which captured very nice images on macro mode.

I recently purchased the Canon Rebel XTi which does have a macro mode but each

time I turn in on, the flash goes off no matter how bright the environment is (&

it casts harsh shadows on the subject). I cant seem to be able to keep the flash

off. The manual is not very helpful in this regards.

Other than that the Rebel works great. It's just that the macro mode has me

stumped. Although I need the macro mode to take pictures of inanimate objects, I

cant imagine what I'd do if I had to shoot little critters.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Manasi

Rest assured that your XTi is far superior to your old point&shoot camera when it comes to macro photography. You just need to learn how it works, and it doesn't work by just flicking a button to bring the camera into some miracle working macro mode. A good start would be to read this article: http://www.photo.net/learn/macro. Once you've done that, you should be better equipped to ask some more specific questions here.

Leopold: If the flower isn't for macro or Close-Up as Canon calls it on the Rebel XT what is it used for on the XTi?

Manasi: I tried setting my Rebel XT to the flower and took a few pictures. It seems if there is low light then the flash automatically comes on. In bright light it doesn't. Were you using the camera in a low light setting?

zack, it is a "close up" mode, which differs from macro (I'm slitting hairs a bit). Macro is a function of the lens, meaning that no adjustment to settings in the body can modify the lens' minimum focus distance. The "close up" scene mode simply makes ideal settings for close range subjects, but will in no way turn the XTi into a macro camera.

Frank: thanks for the link.

Zack: I took it out in the shade at 11 am, put it on 1600 ISO, f/5.6 and then took pictures (on the tulip mode). The flash still went off. It wasn't a "glarey" afternoon but it was still pretty bright.

Howard: I hoped that I could override the flash. The manual didn't help regarding this. If there is a way, I'm at a loss to find it.

I'm very new to Macro photography. I also realise that in lenses & technique lies the answer & also that I have loads of exploration ahead of me. I appreciate everyone's advice!