Canon Rebel XTI ....HELP

bobby_bingham

I have a Canon Rebel Xti. I have a buddy that has a Nikon D300 and the pictures

he took with this is unbelievable. My question is can i buy a new lens that will

help the quality of picture, or I am going to have to buy a new camera. The use

of the camera is sporting events, family functions and weddings. Any help that

anybody can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bobby

Ask your friend to take some pictures with your camera. I suspect that they will be just as good.

Although his camera is a step or two up from yours, you definitely have a capable camera. You definitely do not need a new one. If your using the kit lens, it might not be a bad idea to replace it, but I doubt even that will result in a dramatic improvement in your photos.

My guess (without having seen any of your photos) is that you need experience and knowledge. Read, shoot & evaluate. Read, shoot & evaluate. Do those things for a few years and your pictures will get better.

If you can't get good images from an XTi, it's not the camera that's at fault (unless it's broken).

I agree with Aaron. If you want the best possible lens for the lowest price, get the EF 50/1.8 II, though I doubt that the lens is at fault either.

It's a matter of learning to use the camera effectively and learning what makes a good photograph. The equipment you use comes a distant third in the chain.

It's a bit like saying that when your friend plays the piano it sounds better than when you do. The solution for that isn't to buy a better piano.

Camera manufacturers may try to convince you that photography requires no skill other than the ability to push the shutter release, and the more automated the camera gets the easier it is to shoot great pictures, but it's just not true.

I'm not trying to be smart, but

(1) the photographer is much more important than the camera or lens.

(B) a new lens might be sharper than the 18-55mm kit lens (if that is what you have). However, many full-page spreads in Digital Photography ( a strongly Nikon-oriented Brit publication that has always derided the old 18-55mm) were in fact taken with this "soft" lens.

III) The grass is greener on the other side of the fence. The D300 is a nice camera and is a half-step ahead, maybe, of the XTi, but the XSi is.... and so on.

"At any one time the current offerings of any manufacturer are 6 months from obsolescence." JDM's law

Here is a photo I took on vacation. I guess I should have been more specific. I am wanting a lens for 2 reasons

Ballgames-weddings. Like to zoom in from a long distance and still get great quality

was looking at the Canon 70-200, anybody have any experience with this lens?

Also I keep seeing 20D, 30D, 40D what is the difference?

Thanks for everybody's imput<div>00PglW-46731584.thumb.JPG.66f86c10bcddaba0955d78a6200d464e.JPG</div>

What do you think of that picture? Is it one that you are happy with or disappointed with? Depending on what you were trying to achieve, we can offer some specific suggestions.

I'm still assuming you have the kit lens. In that case, you could probably use a second lens (but keep the one you have). 70-200 is moving in the right direction.

There are currently four 70-200mm lenses from Canon alone. For most people (especially if you are shooting weddings), image stabilization in that lens will be pretty helpful. If you can afford it, I'd go for the 70-200mm f/4, IS. You can get it for just over $1000 online (from a reputable discount vendor).

If that is too much, take a look at the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS. It's pretty good (especially between 70 and 200mm) and just over $500. For the reduced price, you give up build quality, a wider aperture, and a probably a little bit of optical quality. But, you do get the extra range all the way to 300mm.

If you're looking to break the bank (and you back), check out the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS.

If you are on a very tight budget, any of the 75-300mm lenses (from Canon, Tamon, Sigma...) for less than $200 will work just fine. You just won't be blown away by the results.

"Here is a photo I took on vacation. I guess I should have been more specific."

Umm... your shot is completely misfocused. What are you trying to say?

20/30D offer pretty much the same image quality but have bigger viewfinder, faster

frame rate and sturdier body. 40D is perhaps a bit ahead in IQ department and it's

the newest in xxD series. Very good, but I think you'll be *a lot* happier buying new

lenses instead of a body. Take some time learning photography in general and post

editing. XTi is capable of amazing quality.

Bobby,

Two things: first of all I second the suggestion of the 70-300IS, a very fine lens that's on the right side of affordable.

The second, and more important: just think about improving your photography skills and develop your own style (that means choose subjects you love and take pictures that you find beautiful).

Here's a link to a website containing a lot of advise on making vivid pictures. I do not entirely agree with everything Ken writes but I like his line of reasoning.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

(Summary: take a lot of pictures, only show your best pictures, do not pixel-peep unless you intend to make huge prints, find the limits of your equipment and learn to play with them. You might want to disregard some of his wilder statements...)

Regards,

Matthijs.

>>how do i get it 2 focus in both spots, close up and on the field?<<

I think the first thing you need is a GOOD book on photography. You need to learn the basic of photography.

Contrary to popular belief, there is a learning curve when using a camera, just like driving, cooking, etc...

Don't be impatient - take the time necessary to learn about photography in general and later, about your particular camera.

Getting ANY lens or ANY camera at this point won't help much of anything.

Bobby - getting the camera to focus on 2 different spots is actually impossible. The best you can do is make it look like the two spots (and everything in between) is in focus by controlling your depth of field (DOF). That is a very important concept. There is probably information about it in the tutorials on this site. You can search for it on google and find lots of information.

The main problem with the picture of the lighthouse is just the time you took it. Cloudy skies resulted in very low contrast and bluish light. There are also compositional techniques you can use to improve the picture. Still, with a little bit of editing, it can be improved.

I would strongly recommend a book or two. Start with the manual to your camera and learn how to control the aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focusing, etc. Next, any book claiming to be about digital photography will introduce the basics of composition, color, and exposure. After those basics, the real fun starts. Seriously. It's a blast.

I have a few pictures of lighthouses on my web site: www.mendonphoto.com. All of them were taken with the original Digital Rebel - a camera much less capable than what you have.<div>00Pgqj-46743684.JPG.bf40c56368bb6ef503fec7d82167a825.JPG</div>

"I have a Canon Rebel Xti. I have a buddy that has a Nikon D300 and the pictures he took with this is unbelievable."

Switch with him for a week. If the images from the XTi suddenly become 'unbelievable,' you might have found a different source of the problem.

Hi Bobby,<br/>

learn to control the camera. Your question about 2 spots of focus implies, that you did not do your homework yet :)<br/>

Learn to control the camera to a better understanding. No other camera body or lens will help, if you did not reach the limits of your equipement...<br/>

Nice lighthouse, btw:<br/><div>00Ph9f-46813684.jpg.e8e254038ca14ec9c1610ff5d395ba78.jpg</div>

For a wedding I would have a 70-200 f/2.8 (IS or not) and a 24-70 f/2.8.

But for a ballgame I would have at least 300mm of lens. 300 prime, 70-300, 75-300. Possibly even 400. 500 seams a bit much unless your really out there.

IS helps a little with camera shake, but it wont completely eliminate it and wont do any good if your shutter speed it too slow.

I wouldnt tell you to go out and buy any of these lenses unless you really understood how they work and how a camera works. I would however suggest that you get a 50mm f/1.8 lens just to practice with. Its not a zoom so you have to choose your shots a little more carefully. It has a wider aperture which will let you shoot in low light. And its less than $100 US. This is a great learning tool.

Dan

Actually, a 400D CAN focus on two spots at the same time (sort of):

Select the A-DEP setting, make sure automatic focus point selection is activated, and make sure both things you want in focus cover at least one of the focus points.

There are limits to this of course (depending on the smallest aperture the lens can handle), and I doubt the kid and field could both be in focus with anything but a pinhole lens, but it might be useful in some situations.

For the rest I agree that a good course on basic photography will do you much more good than new equipment at this time.

I have an XTi myself and it's definitely not the camera, just don't get discouraged and keep taking photos, better photos will come with more experience. :) However, the lens that first comes with the camera isn't very good, I suggest shopping around for another, sorry I don't have any suggestions for a lens right now. Equipment is nice, but I've seen amazing photos taken on a cell phone camera... it really depends on you.

"how do i get it 2 focus in both spots, close up and on the field?"

<p>Bobby, based on the comment above, forget the lens for now. It seems you are lacking in knowledge of the fundamentals of photography. Buy a good book on photography and keep your current lens to learn with. Buying the latest and greatest will do next to nothing for your images, but a good book will help you improve tenfold, even with the same lens...