Canon Rebel XTi. Difference between TV vs AV

diego_torres1

Hey All!

Im new to this site and it seems to be very helpful so i hope i get to learn

from all you professionals!.

I have a question: I want to know whats the difference on taking a picture with

the TV setting and the AV setting. For some reason when i try to take pics with

AV they all come blurry.. so maybe is use for something else. I would apreciate

if someone would explain to me since im new for SLR cameras!.

thank u

Diego.

Av is Aperture Priority, meaning you set the aperture and the camera compensates the

shutter speed for your desired aperture.

Tv is Shutter Speed Priority, meaning you set the shutter speed and the camera tries to find

an aperture to allow use of that shutter speed.

M is full manual, with you controlling shutter, aperture, ISO, everything.

You should also investigate ISO - the setting that changes the sensitivity of the sensor. At a higher ISO setting you can take a picture with a faster shutter speed at the same aperture, or with a narrower aperture at the same shutter speed.

If Av was giving too slow a shutter speed, then you had chosen too narrow an aperture for the ISO setting you were using.

I suggest you get hold of a copy of Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. It will be much more helpful than the manual in explaining how to decide on the settings to use in different situations.

"I suggest you get hold of a copy of Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson"

I second this... I ordered this book and The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby, read

them both three times front to back, then picked up my manual and did the same... after

that I felt 1000 times more comfortable using Av, Tv, and M mode... After reading them I

actually took my first picture in M mode... it was quite thrilling.

In order to use these mode, you have to understand Aperture, Shutter speed, ISO, and

exposure... read, read, read...

In AV mode, you need to watch your shutter speed, and increase your ISO if the shutter speed is "too low." Otherwise, you may get unsharp images because of camera shake or subject movement. "Too low" is a relative term. You can search the archives on that.

Conversely, in TV mode you need to make sure you are not underexposing because the lens is trying to set an aperture beyond its wide-open limits. Again, the answer is to increase your ISO or lower the shutter speed.

The important point is that TV and AV, like P and A modes are still auto exposure modes. To use them effectively, including M mode, you need a thorough understanding of how exposure really works.

Basically, TV controls Motion to stop blurring, Faster freezes better. AV controls depth of field ( How much is in focus close and far from you.)

TV of 1/64sec is much slower than 1/500sec etc. More motion blur at 1/64. Your camera will only show the 64 or the 500, But it's actually a fraction of a second.

AV of 2.8 will be burrier behind whatever you're focused on than 8 or 16, 28 . . . would be. This is kind of strange as the smaller the number, the bigger the opening of your aperture blades.

Practice these 2 modes before trying M on as you will understand both after working with them first.

Here's a chart for AV that might help you understand how depth of field works. Distance = lens to subject.