Canon Rebel XT "Error 99" at every 5th shot

mendel_leisk

We have a Canon Rebel XT, about 2 years old, which is now consistantly showing

these symptoms:

Start by removing and re-inserting main battery. Shoot 4 shots. Shooting a

fifth shot results in "Error 99" message. Turn camera off/on dispels message.

Taking another shot results in immediate "Error 99" message. Remove and re-

insert of main battery allows you to shoot 4 more shots, but fifth shot

yields "Error 99".

The camera is out of warranty, and I *think* has had about 6200 shots taken.

We've tried shooting with different lens, without lens, cleaning contacts,

without card. Have tried shooting with lens off with mirror lock-up, to have a

look at the shutter leafs, they look flat and uniform. The camera has the

latest firmware.

Any ideas?

Try turning the camera off, removing the storage card and reinserting it (or insert a different card altogehter.) Error 99 is a general communications error which is - in my experience - sometimes triggered by the storage medium, not the body/lens connection.

Something more:

If I remove/replace the battery, take 2 shots, turn the camera off/on: it does not reset the 4 shot limit. When I turn the camera back on, I can take a further 2 shots, the next results in... "Error 99".

Here's someone with a similar issue, but I don't think he resolved it:

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-14349.html

>>> Start by removing and re-inserting main battery. <<<

Take BOTH batteries out and leave out overnight.

Reinsert both batteries.

[Assuming you have reloaded the firmware]

If still stuffed send it to Canon.

My guess: Mirror Box Assembly, it displays error 99 too, (well it did for me, but was intermittent for only three frames then died completely.)

Keep us informed, please. Good Luck

WW

Send it to Canon. Unfortunately pretty much all digital camera manufacturers have decided to follow the footsteps of computer makers and instead of reporting extended error conditions in plain language, we get "Error99." (Yeah, there is a need for a catch-all error because like all complex systems digital cameras are testable, but by no means are ever fully tested. Still...)

Tried reloading firmware: 1.0.3 to 1.0.3. Took four shots, crossed fingers, took fifth shot: no joy ;(

Will try taking out both batteries now.

I see new Rebel XT's are $394US at B&H. Also looking at the XTi, and see there is an Xsi on the horizon. I'm a bit uneasy about another Rebel purchase at this point, tho...

Hmm, the Rebel's are cool little cameras: this is our son's camera, and it's the first time I've played around with it. I like the menu structure better (compared to 20D/30D/40D/5D format), with the columns accross the top allowing you to jump to the menu sub-catagories, and most if not all individual menu items then available without scrolling. Neat little camera.

Took *both* batteries out for a minute or two. When replaced, the camera indicate low battery state, all of a sudden. Maybe the camera has been falsely optimistic about battery state, and removal of both batteries has reset this. The (big) battery has never been replaced on this camera. Grasping at straws.

Now that I know *where* the little battery is, I'll leave *both* out for a proctracted time interval, per William's suggestion, and get the big one fully charged, and see how it goes.

Still, I'm sure I was on to something, changing file count from "continuous" to "auto reset". Nice while it lasted...

I know this sounds peculiar, but put the body without batteries into a plastic ziplock bag and freeze for at least an hour.<BR>Take it out and let the condensation occur onto the baggie for about 20 minutes, reinsert batteries and see if it works. <BR><BR>I am amazed how often this will get results with electronics.

Mendel,

Try this - set the camera to A mode and put the aperture as high as it goes (f22 or higher). Fire a shot, it should give you err99. If it does it is a bad aperture assembly on the lens. If it is doing it without a lens then most likely a bad shutter and the shutter will have to be replaced - no self fix there. The fifth shot err99 just sounds like a strange coincidence as err99 is usually random, not at predisposed intervals but i guess if one of the shutter blades is warped it could cause the shutter to fail after a set number of shots.

Good Luck

Mark

Thanks, Mark. I'll think about that. It's for sure not the lens tho (I wish it was): at the latest I've just been shooting in manual, with no lens attached and the body cap on. Also, I did a few shots with mirror lock up on, and after the first shutter depression had a good look at the exposed shutter. It "looked" fine: flat and even spaced blades.

A stumper. And yes, it every fifth shot that results in error message, very strange. One time, upon changing the shot counter from continuous to auto-reset, I got past the 5 shot barrier. But then, with subsequent switches between shot counting modes, there was no difference.

Kevin, et all, I tried putting it in the freezer for an hour. Then left it sitting almost a day sans *all* batteries, *and* crossed my fingers when testing the result, but no change ;(

I emailed Canon Canada an extensive email explaining in detail the symptoms. They sent back the form letter to send it in, they'll provide free estimate. I think a human being gave my email a cursory glance and then pushed a button to generate their response.

I just thought of a problem I had with the 1st D body D30 back about `02, the battery got a crook cell and brought up `99`, everytime I turned it of it would recover just for a few shots, but not a set count, I guess you have tried a new battery? Mine was charging like in ten minutes so I thought fully charged, long shot:)

Chris,

That actually is one thing I've been suspecting, and I think I should follow-up. I don't have a spare battery in that format, it's the only Rebel in our household, but I'm thinking to see if I can try a battery at a local store. Still wary though, my hopes have been dashed so many times, LOL.

One symptom I've seen is the battery will show "full charge", then a few test shots latter it shows "completely depleted", and refuses to take a shot. The camera is over 2 years old, on orig. battery. I'll check that out (trying another battery) and post the outcome.

• 2 months later...