Canon Rebate

steve torelli

Not wanting to be one of those people who only gripes about bad stuff and

doesn't give credit where credit is due, I should mention that after

documenting my problems with the current round of Canon rebates, I received my

rebate check this morning for the full amount.

I had to call the Canon rebate center in Cheasapeke,VA a couple of times, but

my claim was handled swiftly and pleasantly by a lady there, who, after a

little research, instructed the thieves at Young America to issue the full

amount check. It took less than two weeks from the time of my first contact

with her until I received the check. Problem over. Good luck all.

Good to hear that Steve. The same thing happened to me 2 months ago when I received a post card stating "Error in Submission" where the UPC barcode was missing. I called the 1-877 number and told the person I did include it as it was taped and glued to a blank sheet of paper. I mentioned that I have copies of everything I sent in and was ready to fax it in. She said it wasn't necessary and that the checks being processed. I received the check for the full amount in 7 days.

It seems that a lot of people have had a similar problem during this rebate event.

I'm still trying to get my rebate. I've had a keystone cops kind of experience trying to get them to send it so far. I'm to the point where my last call to the rebate center said it was definitely going to be sent, but I had the UPC code thing too.

The rebate center is either world class incompetent or they are purposely putting as many obstacles in the way as possible to try to make you give up. Normally I would give up but $740 is hard to abandon.

I get the impression that the people you talk to at the rebate center are nice enough but that they're working with a set of rules that makes it as hard on the customer as possible. Too bad I can't bill my time to Canon for the time I've spent pursuing this.

Hopefully I'll get my check soon. I love the camera, but I have to say that 5 years down the road or so when I need my next body, I'll be tempted to check out Nikon before I buy Canon again.

Hey Guys - I ordered a 5D on the last day of the rebate - Feb 19th. The receipt says that the date of order is 19th, but the invoice date is 20th. I didn't realize when I ordered that there are all these problems with canon rebates. I did call up a couple of people there and made sure that my receipt dates aren't a problem. Do you guys think I cut it too close by ordering it on the last date? Any similar experiences? I am supposed to get back $620 or so and would feel like crap if my rebate is somehow rejected! any advice in handling the rebate forms, etc would be appreciated. Thanks.

I strongly suggest that you ontact the seller to see if they will revise the invoice. The rebate center is not going to do you any favors andwill most likely not reward your rebate to you. I, too, ordered my camera and lenses on the 19th, but ensured that invoice/receipt would reflect the 19th. One less thing to concern yourself with when attempting to get your rebate.

for anyone that hasn't submitted yet (March 22 deadline), write your name on the UPCs and receipts. Apparently what happens is that when the Young America rebate processers find a submission with no identifying names, they "lose" them so they can submit the rebate under their own name (or that of a friend etc) for extra cash.

• 2 weeks later...

If the trick of stealing UPCs from our submissions is true that could be a huge marketing nightmare for Canon. Hopefully they are monitoring these boards and are taking the complaints seriously about the rebates. Surely they understand no rebate is better PR than one that you have to fight over.... every time.

I too had to call and ask about the 'missing UPC' claim. Once they heard I had copies of them they went off and came back saying the check was being sent. I got it right away. I had a similar problem with a rebate in 2004. This is troubling. Perhaps someone in law enforcement needs to look into who is handling the rebate program to see if there are some unethical practices going on.

I received a card from Canon last week stating that the warranty cards were not included with my submission (which they were). I found this forum and instead of going through the hassle of resubmitting, I called 877-862-6870 today and the rep said that he could override that discrepancy and get me a check sent out in 30 days, so your best bet is definitely to make the call first and see what they can do.

Their system does seem fairly messed up though. In addition to this warranty card issue, there are two entries at the web-rebate.com/canon website under my name. It appears that my mailed submission was never matched to my online pre-registration, so there is one pending and one still not received. Hopefully the rebate will be on its way soon!