Canon Powershot G7 and Macro Mode

sattler123

After all the complaints about the new Canon Powershot G7, I thought I post a

picture that I just took. Using the Macro mode, which allows you to focus up

to a minimum distance of 1 inch, I took this picture of a bee, just taking off

for flight. The ISO was set at 200 with automatic flash in Program mode.

I find the outcome rather remarkable for a "snapshot"<div>00Inkj-33518984.jpg.3e4c3d886403251ce37328bc7f3edddc.jpg</div>

Very nice shot

But you're implying that, that camera did the shot, maybe to justify the cost, when the truth is, That shot could have also been done with other cameras like sd800, sd700, t10, t30 and etc..just as good.

Most complaint about the G7 are not about macro or the ISO200.

Mostly the complaint is about RAW, lack of swevel LCD and hi ISO performance.

And your shot has nothing to do with those complaints.

Hi Juergen,

Fabulous photo. I got my G7 last week as a back up to my 5D - must admit, I have used it more than the 5D in the past week!

I have posted some photos from the G7 in the Presentations, you can find them under Gallery/Presentation/Canon Poershot G7. I did make a spelling mistake on the title!

Keep posting photos from the camera, and I would also recommend anyone thinking of buting a G7 or owning one to read the review on www.Luminous-Landscape.com.

I have attached a totally unmanipulated image other than reduced in size - I am pretty impressed with the quality.<div>00Io8h-33525184.jpg.fc943f5a3f72453ee3392b649e9904ee.jpg</div>

Mars, you are right, but I believe that people are forgetting the other qualities of the G7 - it really is a great camera. My main camera is a Canon 5D with very good L-lenses. I wanted a camera that was light and could also serve as a back-up to my 5D if needed. I really wanted the G7 to have RAW capabilities (didn't care at all about the lack of a swivel screen) but it doesn't and I don;t think that Canon will change their policy - they want a clear distinction between their DSLRs and their P&S. After checking all the other P&S cameras out there I kept coming back to the G7 - it just offered more than any other camera out there (in what I was looking for - others might disagree). It seems that with all the internet buzz abou the G7 people sometimes forget that this is still a really great camera - even without RAW.

I completely agree with Juergen, my reasons for buying the G7 were the same as his. I too would have loved a RAW capability and am not bothered by the lack of tilt screen.

The overall build quality and features offered are higher than on many other competitors cameras, and although I agree there may be many other makes that can produce similar quality, the overall package surpasses that of most competitors.

Who knows, Canon may retrospectively bow to pressure and if sales are high enough, enable RAW capability through a firmware upgrade.

Even without, it is still a superb pocketable image maker!

I can live without Raw for a 10 meg compact of the G7's class. It is a superbly built camera,

with everything an advanced amateur, or even a professional, could ask for. The image

quality is very good, but not great. AF is ho-hum, but okay. Live histogram, dial for ISO

(now, THAT's a great idea!), programmable function button, dioptric corrector, PSAM (I

don't care for scene modes), three metering modes, MF, etc... All very nice. And the feeling

of the camera is one of professional quality. Just holding one was what finally decided me

to buy one. I can also live without the swivelling screen. I makes the camera slimmer.

But one thing I can't forgive Canon for is the lack of a battery meter. Since it costs nothing

to implement, it looks like a dirty little scheme on Canon's part to force you you to buy a

second battery. Who is going to take their camera out without knowing the level of the

battery

charge? So, a second battery is mandatory. Forget about constantly charging the battery,

like every night. I don't think that's good on the battery on the long run.

Canon, do you read me? Shame on you for that.

I agree, the lack of a battery meter is a joke. I actually ran out of juice today - I was out on a hike and the battery died. There is a cheap fix though - I just ordered two batteries on eBay for $7 total plus $5 S&H. The nice thing is also that they are the same batteries my wife uses in her 350D. I don't think frequent charging has a negative effect on the battery - as far as I remember it is better to charge frequently than just once a month - but I could be wrong:-)