Canon PowerShot G3 with sensor dust/dirt?

Hi folks!

I?m aware of sensor dust on a DSLR. It is sometimes a problem on my Canon

350D. But I?m able to handle the problem, because I can take off the lens and

blow it away.

But my good and trusty point and shoot camera, ( G3 ), that I still have, (

and love ) because of the lens and viewfinder, is suddently generating a dark

spot in the left upper corner in every single image. This is very annoying,

because it has only taken approxymately 4500 pictures. Can this really be dust

on the sensor? I mean, this is a closed system - the lens can not be removed,

so where should the dust come from? I dont want Canon to fix the problem,

because I think I can buy a newer model for the sum they will charge me for.

Can this camera really be worn out allready? If anyone else have experienced

the same problem as me, I would like to here about it - or maybe somebody have

a good idea about how to fix it? ( I know how to fix it in Photoshop - but the

dust on the sensor ). Forgot to mention that my lens is absolutely clean.

Thanks, John<div>00K4QI-35132084.jpg.a7720729c0fcc31b60e69f4268ba1218.jpg</div>

I had sensor dust on my Canon A80. Then I accidentally dropped my camera (causing some body damage) and the dust went away.

I wouldn't recommend this as a solution (even though my A80 continued to work fine) but dust on the sensor of a point and shoot is not unheard of. You could, at your own risk, try tapping the camera to see if the dust comes loose but aside from taking the thing apart there's not a lot to be done.

I don't think your camera is "worn out."

It might move off the sensor with some violent shaking, or with time as some dust did on my P&S with normal handling. Else you have to equate the cost of a trip to a repair lab, people want a lot of money for their work these days, against the cost of a replacement camera. I am guessing that while you have not shot that much with it you have had it a fair time [in digital terms where models are superceded every six or twelve months]

Dust on the lens degrades the whole picture but doesn't show on the picture as an object as your visitor ... except for some zoom lens capable of focusing at their front element when all but the dust is out of focus. Had a video camera capable of that in AF :-(

How about holding it against, say, the smooth casing of a small high speed power tool (like a dremel) or a food blender / grinder.

Light pressure against something like this to just transfer a liitle of the vibration to the camera body maybe through your hand to cushon ... hold the camera in different orientations if it doesn't work ... should provide some nice high frequency but gentle vibration to help shake off the dust .... I've never tried this, just an idea .. at your own risk I'm afraid ...

I love my G3 as well ..

Thank you everybody for your helpfull and quick response.

I have tryed to shake and tap the camera, (violent but gently). The dust is still there, but I'm sure it has minimised. I havent had much time to experiment, but tomorrow I'll try the "food processor methode" as mentioned. This is a very nice and helpfull forum that I allmost daily are checking for a good advice.

A nice weekend to everybody

• 3 months later...

Hi, John. Were you successful in removing that dust speck? Please let me know if the electro-shaking was of any use.

Some time ago I got one in my A520, and I haven't been able to get rid of it. I took it to Canon Service in Buenos Aires, and they disassemble an clean the filter and back lens. As a result of this, the dust just moved some pixels away! Incredible. At least they didn't charge me.

Cheers,

Guillermo