Canon Powershot G10........Arrived Today.

stu dall

The above finally arrived today from the supplier. I have had a quick play with it, and have been studying the

functions and settings.

I am new to digital, and have only been shooting with medium and large format for the last few years, and pretty

much shoot landscapes exclusively. I am aware that depth of field is a fair degree greater in digital format, but am

frankly amazed that the minimum aperture on this camera is only f/8. I have bought it primarily to take on holiday

in December, not wanting to lug my MF gear half way round the world, and my wife will be using it far more than

me when we return. That said, I did want to do some fairly serious landscape stuff with tripod and ND Grad filters

etc. Is f/8 sufficient for reasonable quality landscape shots with front to back sharpness, or have I just bought the

wrong camera for my needs? Stu.

If you check Depth of Field tables .... www.dofmaster.com ..... you will find I think that at f/8 you have the similar

depth of field as if you were working at f/22 to f/32 with the longer focal length lens of a 35mm camera and much

more than MF or LF camera .... so you can work at the 'sweet' aperture suggested without any problems.

Michel, I was going to recommend you return the G10

and get a Panasonic LX3 for its f/2.8 at the long end (60mm equiv)

but I did some DOF calculations and it appears that

you should get good background blur with the G10, f/4.5 at the long end (140mm equiv).

Use aperture priority.