Canon Portrait Lens for M3

Discussion in 'Leica and Rangefinders' started by christian_seebode, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Hello,

I am considering to purchase a portrait lens for my M3. As my budget is somewhat
    limited, I look for a Nikkor 85mm as an alternative to the 90mm Summicron, Elmar
    or Elmarit. For this, I am wondering if there is an adapter Nikon lens --> Leica
    M body. Any experiences or advices out there with this combination?

Thank you for your comments.

Christian

2. Hi Christian, I would still like to suggest checking out an old 90 elmar. They are inexpensive and easy to find. They have a great look for portraits. I use one on my M3. regards, elijah

3. You would be best off looking for an LTM Nikkor rather than a Contax type bayonet, and going from there to an ordinary M/S adaptor. Really you would be better off looking at the equivalent Canon RF lens, as they are all LTM, RF coupled, and the last time I looked, reasonably priced

4. The Nikkor 85/2 is an excellent portrait lens. I recommend it highly. Use a 90/28 adapter with it for M cameras.

5. The Elmar 90/4 isn't razor sharp at wide apertures, which may be what you want in a portrait lens. Not a high contrast lens, either. Matches the 90mm framelines in the finder as well, which is a plus!

The LTM Nikkor 85/2 is pricey. Excellent lens, short, handles well. The LTM Nikkor 105/2.5 is even pricier.

The 85mm LTM Canon 85/2.0 and 85/1.9 are a more modestly priced. Longer, a bit awkward to handle. Better than the Elmar, but not as good as the Nikkor.

The LTM Canon 100/3.5 is an excellent, light, compact, and sharp lens. Not too pricey.

6. I'd be inclined to go with Elijah's suggestion.

7. If you can find one the Canon 100 f3.5 is a great little lens.....
    wbill

8. I have the Canon Leica screw mount 85/f1.8 and would very highly recommend it. The only
    problem is finding one in good shape. Actually the best bet by far of any is a modern lens
    such as the Voigtlanders; less chance of problems typically encountered with old lenses, such
    as fungus, cleaning marks, broken aperture mechanism, etc.

9. The best is the Summicron 90/2. The Voigtlander 90/3.5 is also very good.

I totally agree with Orville. It is hard to find a Canon 85/1.8 in top condition. That goes for
    most used Canon and Nikon RF lenses. In Japan it is fairly easy, as we have an avalanche of
    used lenses to choose from. I have a Canon 85/1.5 in LTM that I love (great with the M8's
    75mm frame). The Voigtlander would your most economical and best quality choice.

10. On a budget, the Summicron 90/2 is right out, as is the very pricey Canon LTM 85/1.8.

I've had no trouble finding very clean Canon LTM lenses in the US. Much more durable than the old Leica lenses with flint glass and soft coating.

11. I have the silver chrome Nikkor LTM 85/2: is a very excellent lens. Also the LTM Nikkor 105/2.5 is excellent but the 85/2 is better for the 90 mm lens framing of the Leica M3 VF.
    The Canon LTM 85/1.8 black is also exellent but is more rare than Nikkor.
    Ciao.