Canon Pixma Pro 1 - When to change inks.

<p>Hi folks,</p>

<p>I'm wondering when the most economical time is to change the ink cartridges on this printer. Do I change the cartridge as soon as I get a warning or do I wait longer until I start to see a problem on the prints? If it's the latter are there any problems with ink flow after installing a new cartridge i.e. does it need to be purged etc?</p>

<p>On my Pixma Pro-10, there are two levels of warning - one that ink is running low, second is that it ran out and it needs to be replaced. I change it at the second warning. Between the first and second warning, there is a good number of problem-less prints still, so swapping cartridges at the first warning is throwing away perfectly fine ink. Since the drivers and tools for Pro-1 and Pro-10 are identical, I assume it'll be the same for your printer.</p>

<p>Different printer and ink set (an old Canon i9900 that keeps chugging along), but if the ink cartridges are clear this should be applicable. I at times pull the cartridge out and look at the sponge in the reservoir. If it is showing air spaces down toward the bottom I go ahead and replace. If it is fully wet, I keep going. I haven't yet had a print show effects of low ink with this method. Even after the printer says the ink is empty there are usually a few more prints to be made.</p>