Canon or Nixon

joel_ballanger

<p>I am a beginning photographer, I'm 18, and previously used my friend's EOS 40D with a Sigma 30/1.4

lens. I am now planning on buying my own Digital SLR but a problem has arisen; which camera should I get?</p>

<

p>The Canon EOS 40D or the Nixon D80?</p>

<p

>If I do get the Canon I would, most likely purchase the Sigma 30/1.4 lens (it was recommended to me by the re

view on photo.net that I read) but which lens should I purchase for the Nixon if I decide to get that instead?<br>

Also, I enjoy shooting most things but what really interests me is extending the exposure on a camera and

playing with light and the shapes and things it does. For example i enjoy shooting pictures at night from the ove

rpass of cars on the highway. With the extended exposure the light creates streaks and it is really interesting.--thi

s being said is there a camera that i should get that would be better for that as well as good for shooting all aro

und?<br>

B

asically this is what it comes down to:<br>

W

hich is better for me- Canon EOS 40D or Nixon D80 and which ever one is better which lens should I purc

hase?<br>

A

s a new photographer I don't want to rush in and make an ill-informed decision and end up regretting it late

r, rather I would appreciate help in making an informed decision to buy the camera and lens that best suits my need

s!<br>

T

hanks a lot, I really appreciate you help!<br>

J

oel Ballanger</p>����

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>you might want to check reviews of the niKon D80 in the niKon forum, and see what others have to say. Additionally, you could compare it with reviews of the Canon 40D and see what the similarities(and differences are). Since this is the Canon forum, I doubt if people would have much(if any)experience with Nikon's digital bodies.</p>

<p>The big difference between Canon and Nikon is feel. Overall both make great cameras. I would suggest you try both out and see what feels better in your hands. Nobody can tell you which is better for you.</p>

<p>Any modern dSLR from any manufacturer will be more than sufficient for beginner's photography -- and you already made a wise decision to stay away from entry-level gear. When it comes down to Canon vs. Nikon I prefer the former, because of the better backwards-compatibility of adapted lenses, less expensive full-frame option (used 5D) and plentiful and inexpensive gear on the used market. Nikon only offers slightly better ergonomics/design and a more sensible flash technology.</p>

<p>But why not Pentax, Sony or Olympus? Just because Canon & Nikon spend more on their marketing? CaNik lack in-body stabilization which is a mayor drawback if you prefer prime lenses (like that 30mm). They also offer only very few APS-C dedicated primes.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If I do get the Canon I would, most likely purchase the Sigma 30/1.4 lens (it was recommended to me by the re view on photo.net that I read) but which lens should I purchase for the Nixon if I decide to get that instead?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Uh, the SigMa 30mm f/1.4 comes in all kinds of mounts... Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus etc.</p>

<p>Canon or Nikon. Both are awesome and very capable cameras. You can't go wrong.</p>

<p>By all means get yourself a Sigma 30/1.4, but I suggest also picking up a kit zoom lens. Both Nikon and Canon offer kit lenses that are excellent value when purchased with the camera body. The prime and the zoom will have different creative purposes.</p>

<p>If you're interested in time exposures of car lights, you'll need a tripod and cable release.</p>

<p>As others have pointed out, it is hard to go wrong with either camera. Picking a camera is more than just picking a body however. You are picking a system: bodies, flashes, lenses and even third party support and after market support. These are the reasons I would stay with Nikon or Canon (don't get me wrong, I would love to play with the Pentax but I don't have unlimited funds!). I would ponder that decision more than just a single body decision. </p>

<p>Between the Canon and Nikon, I would choose Nikon. Between the 40D and the D80, I would choose the 40D. I would choose the 40D because I need the high ISO the CMOS chip in the 40D can provide. The Nikon D80 uses a CCD chip which will produce more noise at ISO 800 and above. However, the new D5000 and the D90 use a CMOS chip for lower noise now. </p>

<p>Remember, the Canon 40D is a step above the Nikon D80. The D80 is on the same level as the Rebel XTi. They came out at the same time and was direct competitors. The 40D is a prosumer level camera. Wise to go ahead and step up first. The Nikon equivilent of the 40D is the D300. Both are great cameras. Just play with them and see which fits you best. Neither will hold you back. The more you like your camera the quicker you will learn. So see which feels better, which allows you to find menu functions easier. The one that makes the most since. Research real good, cause once you buy into the system, its not wise to switch from cost standpoint.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The Nikon equivalent of the 40D is the D300</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I respectively disagree. Nikon doesn't have an equivalent to the 40D, although besides the CMOS vs CCD thing, I would say the D80 is darn close. The Nikon D90 would be the equivalent to the 50D. The Nikon D300 is in another league which Canon doesn't have an equivalent too, except perhaps the 1D Mark II/III.</p>

<p>Bueh. I've shot headlight trails. Sometimes the action is intermittent - not much traffic, traffic gets backed up behind a light and then surges forward when the light goes green. The cable release allows you to catch the best action. Ditto for fireworks. Plus you pretty much need a cable release to shoot bulb.</p>

<p>The camera is the least important part of the equation. It's the lens system that you should be concerned about. Check which maker has the lenses you want and go that way. Camera bodies come and go, one brand leap frogging the other and vice versa. Lenses on the otherhand can last for many, many years.<br>

If the choice becomes better body or better lenses, go with the better lenses.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I respectfully disagree. Nikon doesn't have an equivalent to the 40D, although besides the CMOS vs CCD thing, I would say the D80 is darn close. The Nikon D90 would be the equivalent to the 50D. The Nikon D300 is in another league which Canon doesn't have an equivalent to.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>David is absolutely right about this: in terms of performance, capability and IQ, the 40D is <a href="http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Cameras/Nikon-D300-vs-Canon-EOS-40D-A-Hands-On-Workout">right there with the D300</a> - no question about it.</p>

<p>The D80 (<em>and the D200 - the camera that drove me away from Nikon once and for all</em> ) has the worst sensor ever to see the inside of a camera, and the AF in either camera is just awful.</p>

<p>Oh - and where the D200 is concerned, let's talk about battery life...</p>

<p>The 40D only lacks a few bells and whistles compared to the D300, but in terms of end results, it is a match in every way (yes, including AF) for the D300, and in some respects is demonstrably better.</p>

<p>Joel, tripod and cable release. You set up the camera on a tripod, and plug in the cable switch which activates the shutter. By using the cable release you don't have to touch the camera so it stays steady for the duration of the shot.</p>

<p>If you set the camera to Bulb mode, the shutter stays open for as long as you hold the botton on the cable release. For really long exposures you can lock the button down so that you don't have to keep pressing it.</p>

<p>Examples. 1/2 second exposure. The train comes by every 10 minutes so using the self-timer is not really feasible.<br>

http://photos.photosig.com/photos/62/88/1878862-3d8313f9681e2279.jpg<br>

http://photos.photosig.com/photos/39/39/1723939-8586df3aabe996c4.jpg</p>

<p>30 second exposure. This onewould be possible to shoot with the self-timer<br>

http://photos.photosig.com/photos/78/59/1705978-f8a3be51784fc95b.jpg<br>

1 hour exposure. You definitely need the cable release for this - you can't hold the camera steady for 1 hour and get the mountains in sharp focus.<br>

http://photos.photosig.com/photos/76/34/1653476-bab1242559bd5e6c.jpg</p>

<p>Hopefully I can ask few things, since they are, I think, kinda similar and on subject with what you guys are talking about here.</p>

<p>I'm losing my mind over my first DSLR camera these days... whether to go for Nikon or Canon.<br /> Obv I'm just entering the DSLR world.</p>

<p>I'm considering 40D or D90 (and maybe D5000 - still not sure if it's a good buy cause it's still very much new and the price might drop down in the next few months).<br /> I was thinking maybe Nikon D90 kit + wide angle lens 10-20mm by Sigma. That's what looks appealing the most to me atm, but it seems that Canon 40D is a bit more "professional" camera with better picture quality if I'm not mistaken?</p>

<p>Which camera is more "professional": D90 or D5000 ? Better capabilities with manual settings and all? Or are they pretty much the same, just that D5000 has few more "fancy" features?</p>

<p>Canon or Nikon? D90 or 40D?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>It doesn't answer your question directly, but the following link highlights some of the more prominent differences across Canon and Nikon product lines...</p>

<p>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/nikon-d3-d300.shtml</p>

<p>Personally, I prefer Canon over Nikon because of the availability of fast USM primes. Nikon's selection of AF-S lenses is limited unless you're considering those for the DX format as well. In addition, I find Nikon's AF lenses noisy and distracting, which may or may not matter to you...</p>

<p>Why consider a 40D? Its been superceded by the 50D. Unless you can get a 40D for 50% off retail, then in a year you will understand all about serious depreciation. I'm not getting into a debate about Nikon/Canon. Its far too subjective, but I have Nikon and Canon, and now have a D300 and I got it for A$1500, six months old (A$3500 new). Thats about $1000 US dollars.There's your benchmark. Adorama have a used 40D for US$754.<br>

In a year from now the 40D will be $500, the 50D will be a grand and the 60D will be out. Same with Nikon. There will be a D400, an upgrade to the D90 and a D6000. Its madness. never buy new and retail. Look on Adorama or B&H for a mint used camera and with their returns policy, you can't go wrong. I do and from down here in Australia. Even with the exchange rate its still better because of used camera availability.</p>

<p>I am a lifelong Canon user but Nikon has some good cameras out at the moment (I wish Canon had a D3 equivalent) and a great lens (the 14-24 F2.8 zoom). I would not get the Nikon D80 but would buy the D90 - I have played with both as a friend is a big Nikon shooter and the 90 is a much better camera - you could also look at a used 200. On the Canon side the 40 is also very competent.</p>

<p>I used to work in a major NYC camera store. I believe it was the Nikon rep (but I can also imagine the Canon rep saying the same in reverse) once said to a bunch of us in a meeting, if you don't buy Nikon, then buy Canon. Forget all the rest. Keep in mind, this comment is made strictly regarding digital slr's. I think this says a lot about both Canon and Nikon.</p>

<p>So, I really don't think you can go wrong with either company from a quality and image making consideration. You really have to handle them and see which feels better in your hands, and which method of menu/functional control "thinking" you like best.</p>

<p>It is really down to that. I have two friends that own both Nikon and Canon cameras. And they swear by both for different reasons. And coincedently, one started out Nikon, and eventually bought Canon also......and the other started Canon and eventually bought Nikon also. For all the rivalry between the two users of Nikon and Canon.....you never do hear them mention other brands of DSLR and SLR............now, do you?</p>