Canon: my 5 year purchase plan

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by russelharris, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Hi everyone. This is my 5 year Canon purchase plan. I was wondering what you guys think of it. For now I'm limited by budget but I expect this to change as the years fly on by :)
    Mostly I'm into travel, some portrait / macro work using a G9. I've used various dSLRs over the years, mostly Nikons, but believe I'd be happier with the following. BTW, as I already own an EF 100/2 I expect this to be a part of my kit for a while.
    Year 1: used 20D; new or used 17-85 IS and, if there's some spare change, a 50/1.8 (though I'm thinking the 100/2 will handle low light situations fine on its own).
    Year 2: A new laptop. Something with more RAM and a much bigger screen. Probably also a polarizer and split-density filter.
    Year 3: Tripod and ballhead, 1.4 x Teleconverter
    Year 4: EF 135/2 L
    Year 5: A new camera. By 2015 Canon should still be around, right ;-)
    What say ye?
    Rus

2. Russ
    It's good to have a rough idea. My experience is that directions spring up in the light of real experience. I suggest you go with a used xxD, 40 if possible and shoot and review like mad.

3. my 5 year purchase plan:
    -S-10 w/ a V8
    -wedding band to accompany my fiancee's engagement ring (maybe that should go first)
    -948 McDonald's double cheeseburgers
    -hopefully a 400mm f/5.6L in there somewhere
    As for your list. Those are good things to have, especially the tripod and polarizer, I would get them ASAP, but I know money doesn't exactly grow on trees, or so they say. I also think some things may happen sooner than you think. I always say, "I should have this body for the next 10 years" when I buy a new (to me) camera, but as time passes used prices drop and I always end up buying a better camera sooner than I plan. I don't think I've kept a body for more than 2 years yet. You may also want to consider a flash in there too. They can open up just as many possibilities as a new lens.

4. oh and as for the laptop, I just upgraded the RAM in my current laptop for next to nothing. This may be a better use of your funds than a new laptop.

5. There doesn't seem to be a lot of point to the 1.4x teleconverter in year 3, since you won't yet have a lens it works with. It will work with the 135/2, so just save that money and buy them together in year 4.
    Otherwise looks good, assuming you've evaluated your needs well. It is definitely a good idea to think out a multi-year strategy for purchases.

6. Jim: wish I could but my budget says 20D. Unless I buy a kit lens ...
    Nathan: yeah, I agree as to the unpredictability and it does make sense to move the tripod forward but I am using an Acer Netbook with a 10" screen... though this can be supplemented with an external LCD monitor and an extra gig of RAM will always help. Oh, and congrats on the wedding.
    Alan, agreed on buying the tele 1.4 and the 135 together. I must admit I may change this as I anticipate moving to South Africa soon and a 70-200 / 4 may be a more sensible purchase but for the most part it's where I want to go in terms of gradually being able to buy good glass.

7. I'd buy the 20D and a 50 /1.8 - shoot, shoot and learn.

8. stp

stp

My five-year purchase plan: buy everything in year one, and then use it in years 2-5. Life is short; year 5, or 4, or 3, or 2 may not materialize.

9. To my astonishment, having seen some previous efforts at this sort of planning, I think your 5-year Plan makes good sense. The 20D has enough pixels and good enough performance overall to serve you well. The EF-S 17-85mm IS has a few compromises (but any other lens of the same sort of range shares these to a greater or lesser degree). The 20D is still a favorite of mine - even though I have two other Canons with more pixels.
    If you can stretch to a EF 50mm f/1.8 you may be able to find it on eBay for a quite reasonable price. It is a good choice for low light and street shooting on an APS-C body.

10. Why not the 18-55 IS kitlens? Cheaper than the 17-85, for longer you have the 100 and in it's range it's better than
    the 17-85. (lacking USM though)

Have fun, Matthijs

11. Why not the 18-55 IS kitlens? Cheaper than the 17-85, for longer you have the 100 and in it's range it's better than
    the 17-85. (lacking USM though)

Have fun, Matthijs

12. Scrap the 20D.

Buy the tripod for use with your G9.

In a year or two buy a T2i with a kit lens.

13. david_henderson

david_henderson www.photography001.com

Photography is about creating pictures more than it is about owning cameras and bits. How about a couple of different "five year plans"
    • How you expect your photography to develop in the next few years. How your subjects and approaches might change. What portfolios you'rd like to develop; what you might want to achieve in that timeframe. You never know, you might even get a better idea about what camera equipment you're going to need to get the job done rather than just planning equipment purchases in isolation.
    • The places you'd like to visit in the next five years to aid your photographic development. Personally I've always put travel to places I need to photograph to put together the images I want ahead of buying equipment. I only buy anything when I need it to achieve something specific in my photography.

14. david_henderson

david_henderson www.photography001.com

Photography is about creating pictures more than it is about owning cameras and bits. How about a couple of different "five year plans"
    • How you expect your photography to develop in the next few years. How your subjects and approaches might change. What portfolios you'rd like to develop; what you might want to achieve in that timeframe. You never know, you might even get a better idea about what camera equipment you're going to need to get the job done rather than just planning equipment purchases in isolation.
    • The places you'd like to visit in the next five years to aid your photographic development. Personally I've always put travel to places I need to photograph to put together the images I want ahead of buying equipment. I only buy anything when I need it to achieve something specific in my photography.

15. In five years time everything we are using now will be redundant. All post processing will be done incamera. All image file formats will be replaced, rendering all your archives lost.
    Windows will be dead, so will the internet and Iran will have nuked Israel.
    The US and the UK will have gone broke and China and India will rule the world.
    I'll be growing organic food on a farm and there will be no mobile phones anymore when we realise that we can be tracked down to 5m.
    But I'll still have my film cameras and will be able to make beautiful images without a computer.

16. My plan is not driven totally by budget. I know that the bulk of my shots are between 1X-8Xmm; ISO average between 80-800, and 2/3 at variable apertures from f/3.5 and up. I reckon the 20D can handle that.
    I do some low light work but mostly its daylight stuff. I dont see this changing much.

Jim, if I was to go a prime-only route the 50 would not be my lens for daily shooting; I'd rather go for the 28/2.8. Wide and fast enough and new, costs as much as the 17-85.

Stephen, yeah, if I had the money I'd buy it all now, and, because I intend trading my old kit from another brand, I will be getting more than my $800 will buy me. But that will only be when I rerturn to my home country where I know I can get good prices for used equipment. While I am on the road I intend taking advantage of the pricing here, on average 20-30% less!

Matthijs; Why not the 18-55 IS kitlens? - well, the lack of USM is a factor. Would you say it's better in terms of IQ than the 17-85? In terms of focal length I agree, the 100/2 has me covered. Only I won't be near it for another month or two. Though you have raised an interesting point:
    > buy the 18-55 IS AND a 50/1.8 for low light, supplementing it with the 100/2 in a few months time.

Dan South; yeah, I have in the past toyed with the idea of just using the G9, and it's great for daylight photography, but at night or indoors... I have a bunch of images that are unusable because of noise when I made my once and only attempt to photogrpah an indoor concert with a Point n Shoot. Never again.

Shadforth; ya, I hear you. 2012 is around the corner and I am tempted to buy a Nikon EM, 75-150/3.5 zoom and 50/1.8 E-Series lenses just in case. Funnily enough the only two images I have had published were made with that setup. No auto nothing, no more than 1 FPS, AF my tochus... Should never have e-bayed it :(

17. David, thanks for your thoughtful response. Having thought about it I realise that my photography has developed due to my location. When I moved to Israel 6 years ago I had a Nikon EM which I was using to happily snap shots of friends and random street scenes. Id done a course and knew how to work in a darkroom and handle my own printing. But at the time, as an immigrant, I never had an opportunity to set up a darkroom, etc and so I moved on, like so many of us, to digital.
    Having left crime-ridden South africa I was suddenly freed up to photograph everything and anything: my cameras went with me everywhere. Every morning now I walk to the neighbourhood bakery and take my 6MP dSLR with me - I would NEVER do that in South Africa, it's way too dangerous.
    Some trends have become apparent:
    I'm living in a small town with a lot of art galleries; I'm frequently asked to take shots of paintings and jewelry. I used my G9 for this until it broke but I have toyed with the idea of lashing out on a setup that would allow me to do product photography. You know, a flash, tripod, macro lens, a couple lights, an umbrella and softbox.
    I do have in mind to shoot something to illustrate a Jewish prayerbook for the festival of Passover next year. Are you familiar with the work of Israeli photographer, Yuval Nadel? Check out http://yuvalnadel.com/
    I quite enjoy his depictions of religious Jewish life and I suspect that if I go this route I will need a tele in some form or another in part because the religious are somewhat anti-photography. That said, if I was to work on a special project i would get permission prior to shooting.
    So yeah, that's it. I may be fortunate enough to visit Asia and the USA over the next five years if I can get steady work but will see how that goes.
    What do you think? I realize this kinda clashes with my original list but hey, sometimes one has to go with the flow

18. Bearing the above in mind, yours and my previous responses, here's an alternative list:
    • 20D
    • 18-55 IS
    • 50/1.8 or EF-S 60/2.8 Macro
    • Flash, 2x lights, stands, softbox, umbrella, tripod n ballhead
    • External LCD monitor, external drive, 1GB of extra RAM
    What do you think? I realize this differs from my original list, and it's not time-specific (rather it depends on whether or not I have that much money to spend on my hobby right now) but...

19. no flash, pocket wizard, SOFTWARE, printer, money for marital counseling...
    i like the S-10 V8 though :)

20. You're right, how could I have forgotten the printer? I must say that's something I am looking forward to, tired of looking at my stuff on screen.