Canon Mississauga Repair Centre?

jay a. frew

They have treated me well. (I'm a CPS member.)

But...I recently took a 5D in there that they said was 100% destroyed by water. Couldn't be fixed etc.

A few months later I was on my way to Asia so I threw it in my bag and dropped it off at Canon Thailand. They got it working for $8.

For what you need I wouldn't hesitate to drop it off.

From an earlier thread, http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00L5Vt, regarding repairs to my 50 1.4 sent to Canon in Missassauga, Ontario.

"I recently dropped my 50 1.4, still in its Lowepro case, onto a carpeted floor and broke the focusing mechanism. I sent the lens to Canon Canada in Mississauga, Ontario and was charged C$270 for the fix - approximately half the price of a new lens.

The lens was not fixed in-house at Canon. The return shipping label shows it came from Sun Camera Service in Toronto. Sun Camera's website (http://suncameraservice.ca/index.htm) says, "Sun Camera is the primary photo, digital and video repair center for Canon Canada in Ontario and parts of Quebec as well as a national depot of choice for Future Shop/Best Buy Ltd and Henry's."

My lens is now working well and I have no complaints about the workmanship. However, when the lens was returned I received no documentation or receipt explaining what was done to the lens. For my own records, interest in what I paid for and protection in case the repair fails within the next few months, I'll have to go after Canon Canada for some kind of documentation."

• 3 years later...

<p>Maaaan ... i wish i read this earlier, i just sent in my 16-35mm for adjustment. They wanted 250$ minimum regardless of what was wrong with it.<br>

I remember the days when it was 50$ ( Canon 50mm f/1.4 ) for a broken focus mechanism. It is insane, do they want to lose their customers that bad ? Or do they want to sell more new stuff ?<br>

How much would this repair cost at Sun Camera ? Can anyone check ?</p>