Canon Loyalty Program

david israel

<p>Hello,<br>

I have read numerous post on the internet and on Photo.net referring to the "Canon Loyalty Program" I currently have a Rebel XT and a Canon 20D and I know my 20D will be going sooner or later as it is at approx 80,000 shutter count. Is there any websites or does anyone have a solid information on how this program works and what is the trade in value for my cameras if I did take advantage of the loyalty program. How strict is the loyalty programs policy? Does the camera have to be broken? I am a Canon guy and will always shoot Canon and would love to upgrade my camera and don't mind if it is a refurbished as they are normally just as good as new minus the warranty (I think 90 Day is what you get?) I guess my last question is has anybody taken advantage of this program in recent months or is this hit or miss? I found some old postings (From 2006) that said they would give $50.00 for a trade in?<br>

Any help would be greatly appreciated.<br>

Thanks,<br>

David Israel</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I too am interested in this as I have a 20D that just before Christmas has flipped out. I have removed both batteries for a while and still have the problem. The camera constantly fires with a battery installed (even when powered off) - even though nothing is being recorded and it displays ERR99. </p>

<p>Dennis, </p>

<p>Those are the exact same symptons that I've been having and from my initial research it appears to be a worn out shutter. Canon quoted me $320 as their "standard price" for repairing a 20D which wasn't worth it in my book. I just ordered the shutter part for $42 (includes shipping and tax) from the canon parts department and am going to try and replace it myself using this website (<a href="http://blue.netnation.com/sim/projects/camera/canon_eos-20d_shutter_replacement/">http://blue.netnation.com/sim/projects/camera/canon_eos-20d_shutter_replacement/</a>) as a guide. I also saw a company on ebay selling a shutter replacement (labor and parts) for $99 if you don't want to do it yourself.</p>

<p>Robert,</p>

<p>That’s not entirely true nor fair.</p>

<p>First, after you’ve spent $10,000 on lenses, you <em>should</em> be able to sell them

for at least $8,000 cash. If you’re looking to switch platforms and you can’t afford that

kind of penalty, then either you’re spending waaaay too much on your hobby or your

business is on poor financial footing.</p>

<p>Next, people who are heavily invested in other brands are equally “locked in” to

them, as well.</p>

<p>Last, there really isn’t much point in switching. If you can’t make great photos with

$10,000 worth of Canon lenses, you sure aren’t going to be able to do so with $10,000 worth

of Nikon (or Pentax or whomever) lenses. Whatever Nikon has today that Canon doesn’t

(and vice-versa), Canon will have in a couple years — and, by then, there’ll be

something else that the one will have but the other won’t. Compare any current-generation

body or lens from the one with the previous-generation equivalent from the other, and the new one

<em>regardless of brand</em> has everything the old one was lacking and then some.</p>

<p>There are valid reasons to pick one over the other when starting fresh — mostly related

to personal preference in ergonomics. In very, very, very rare situations where one may have an

edge in something truly critical to an application, there may be a valid reason to switch. Switching is

also reasonable when the cost isn’t a big deal; if you’re making hundreds of

thousands of dollars in profit each year, spending a couple thousand to switch is pocket

change.</p>

<p>But, otherwise, improve yourself, not your equipment brand.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>