Canon lens on Nikon D200

thorkild

<p>Depends on what Canon mount the lens has. I have succesfully modified the Canon 35/2.8 T/S FD to Nikon F mount, with infinity focus intact.</p>

<p>The newer EF mount lenses are a tougher challenge albeit I assume some of the long lenses could be converted, if you figure out a way to control the aperture (or shoot wide open, which is just fine with most supertelephotos anyway).</p>

<p>I know a Japanese company that converts Canon FD mount super teles (300/2.8 and bigger) to either Nikon, Pentax and Canon EOS mount lenses for astronomical use. The lenses will lose aperture unit altogether during the conversion and thus can be only used wide open, which is of no problem for the intended purpose. I would say this is more of an economical use of obsolete lenses rather than the conversion of the mounts.</p>

<p>Is it an old FD (manual focus) lens or a newer EOS (electronic focus) lens?</p>

<p>I've seen the Canon 58mm f1.2 aspheric converted to Nikon mount. Conversion of an old FD lens costs about $500, so you really need to have a great reason to do it. There are few old FD lenses that you can't sell and pick up an equivalent Nikon for less than an additional $500.</p>

<p>I am curious to know which lens you are thinking about. There are only a handful worth doing and I dream of doing this to one or two of them. The extra bonus is that once you convert an FD to Nikon then they will also fit a Canon DSLR. However, as far as I know it is much easier to go from FD mount to EF mount than to F mount.</p>

<p>Canon FD 55mm f1.2 Aspherical (this is the one I want to do, a heck of a lot cheaper than a Noct!)</p>

<p>Canon FD 24mm f1.4 L or Aspherical</p>

<p>Canon FD 85mm f1.2 L or Aspherical</p>

<p>Canon FD 7mm f5.6 Circular fisheye (the Nikon ones cost a fortune unless it's a real beater like mine)</p>

<p>Canon FD 80-200mm f4 L</p>

<p>Canon FD 800mm f5.6 L (these are generally much cheaper than Nikon's)</p>

<p>Canon EF 8-15mm f4 L</p>

<p>Canon EF 17mm f4 TS-E</p>

<p>Pretty much every other Canon lens has a corresponding lens available in the Nikon line-up, and sometimes for less money.</p>