Canon JPEG image size

danielransom

Could anyone direct me to either a thread or an answer to this question?

My Canon 30D shoots large, fine JPEGs in an image size that is roughly 32" x 48", ppi at 72. My CR2

files come in about 8x11, ppi 240. It always seems that when I downsize the JPEGs in PS CS2 to 8 x11

printable or web size, I lose information. Is there a way to set my cam to shoot JPEGs at around 8x11

and 2400 x 3400 ppi?

I called Canon. Blah, blah, blah.

Thanking you in advance.

Hi,

Spending time reading is very helpful.

Once upon a time there was a federal program called RIF.

Those initials stand for: 'reading is fundamental'...

And,

sooner or later, as people spend time acquiring knowledge by reading...

people will come across these words: 'don't bite the hand that feeds you'.

<I>Is there a way to set my cam to shoot JPEGs at around 8x11 and 2400 x 3400 ppi?</i><P>

Not that I'm aware of. PPI is rather meaningless anyway. It can be changed in 2 seconds in Photoshop and if you'd like, you can create an Action that will globally change all your files to whatever ppi you want.<P>

The 72ppi that's used by default harks back to older times when that was thought best for display on a monitor. Again, in Photoshop or any decent image editor, you can change the ppi without resizing or changing the photo in any way.<P>

Lastly your question about 2400 X 3400 ppi is <B>very</b> high. Most inkjet printers print around 300 to 360 ppi regardless of the size of the print. If you *do* want to resize the print, then Bob's link above gives excellent info. Good luck!

You are using a 30D, also use PS CS2, and don't even have one book on what you're doing? Do youself a favor Daniel and expand your library. (or read the beginner threads in the Digital Darkroom forum, you'll be up to speed so quickly!) Please add my name to a "complaint list." Gracias.

Daniel.... your response is pretty funny.... by the way, if you want to complain abt Bob's hospitality at photo.net.

He gave you an immediate response, and the link after all. It is his own website, so you are really leveraging upon his generosity if you glean any info.