Canon introduces the RF 85mm f1.2 lens

dmanthree

$2,699 USD. Not for the faint of heart. Also, there's a "defocus" model that's slated to follow this one. There's some samples on DP Review that show it to be stellar. At that price, it damned well better be!

I'm waiting for that 24-240 zoom...

they didn't mention the price

How could they? - The recommended one seems 3K €, let's see to where it might drop. More crucial to know: How does it compare to the quite recent EF 85/1.4? With an IBIS body only rumored, I wouldn't sacrifice IS for half an f-stop.

• 2 weeks later...

Back when I was going for available darkness shots, I really used my f/1.2 lens a lot (usually with high speed color transparency film)

Nowadays, with incredible ISOs, this use of f/1.2 lenses is sort of "muted". I think the main justification is for the narrow depth of field and good "bokeh".

On a 24x36mm sensor, the 85mm focal length and the fast lens should make a very nice lens for portrait and street use.

Agreed about the need for super-fast lenses. I can live, easily, with f4 lenses now since shooting at higher ISOs is not really a concern. Of course, I used to shoot a film called "High Speed Ektachrome" that had an ISO rating of.....160. :-)

I don't have my EOS RP yet but I would much rather have seen Canon put out an 85mm 1.4 RF lens. To me the 1.2 85mm is too specialized of a lens, too expensive and too heavy, and also not too useful at 1.2. That's just my never humble opinion of course. I use the 85mm 1.8 EOS lens with my DSLRs.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't have my EOS RP yet but I would much rather have seen Canon put out an 85mm 1.4 RF lens. To me the 1.2 85mm is too specialized of a lens, too expensive and too heavy, and also not too useful at 1.2. That's just my never humble opinion of course. I use the 85mm 1.8 EOS lens with my DSLRs.

I wished the lens had IS like the 85 f/1.4 since Canon did not put IBIS in their bodies like everyone else does. I get by with my 6D + EF 85 f/1.8. I'm waiting for an IBIS R body, until then it's my collection of EF bodies and EFs and EF lenses.

• Like 1