Canon IIF2 - Rare and Fine in the Blur of Time

<p>In 1955, While I was still a gleam in my daddy's eye, Canon was busy making Leica type rangefinder cameras. While based in form and function on the Leica cameras of that era, Canon introduced some of it's own innovations such as the combined viewfinder/rangefinder that provided multiple magnifications. In that year they introduced their latest camera - the Model IIF2. </p><div>00ZfEM-419731584.jpg.bd8dd903b917294ad60e4e2a02c3f877.jpg</div>

<p>I acquired this remarkably fine example, and some accessories, from a local collector I know who was thinning his collection. He called and asked if I wanted first dibbs. Knowing well the vastness and quality of his collection, I was over there in blur of speed like Superman turning back time. In some ways, I find using these old cameras is like turning back time and living a bit of history I never knew.</p>

<p>Of the early Canon rangefinders, the Model IIF2 is something of a rarity with only about 2625 cameras ever made. This one shows the "EP" engraving which indicates it was purchased by U.S. military personnel at a PX. The Canon IIF2 is similar to the Canon llF, but has a new range of shutter speeds. It also has improved eyepiece optics. All the Canon models aound this time look similar and are a bit confusing but there is no doubt that this camera, in this condition, is a true photographic collectable. </p>

<div>00ZfEO-419731684.jpg.6eae89cbeb89709888e0d932cdd05304.jpg</div>

<p>The build quality, fit and finish is excellent. It's rounded profile and compact size make it a delight to hold. The finder, while still small, was not nearly as squinty as the earlier models. However there are no framelines. The finder is emaculate and the shutter, with speeds from 1-1/500, T, B, is Swiss-watch perfection. The shutter release is uniquenly smooth and precise feeling. The film advance, by knob wind, has a smooth, positive feel.<br>

With the base plate removed and the condition of the interior and spring loaded take-up spool, I get the distinct impression that this camera has never seen a roll of film in it's 57 year life. I can understand how one can become intranced by such a remarkably precise, beautifully assembled, miniature machine. As an object alone, it's something to be admired.</p><div>00ZfEQ-419731784.jpg.24d450e84dd6af224981959365f3319d.jpg</div>

<p>The lens is a Canon Serenar 50mm f/1.8 in standard LTM mount. The serial # indicates this lens is type 4 produced 4/53-7/56. (according to Kitchingman) In later versions, Canon dropped the Serenar name. It is a coated, Gauss type with six elements in four groups.</p>

<p>I was thinking that I should put this fine, collectable camera in my camera safe to retain it's beauty and value. But then....Naaaah! At least I should shoot ONE roll just to insure everything is working, right? So I do the bottom load dance and head out to give it a spin. Here are a few pics from my test roll of Fuji Superia 400. Exposures determined by eye.</p>

<div>00ZfET-419731884.jpg.d128e5d81f1d3f906f8550c503d75e1f.jpg</div>

The camera performed perfectly. The Canon lens is sharp with smooth bokeh. Some softening in the corners

was seen but cleared up by f/4. There is a real satifaction in using a quality classic rangefinder camera. I may

just have to put another roll, or ten, through it in the days to come.

Oh, and did I mention I got some accesories with it?<div>00ZfEi-419741584.jpg.503c9d5b0c138632a8517a9a76b0f9ea.jpg</div>

<p>What a beautiful find and a fine presentation Louis. The pictures are very nice especially the portrait of Alex is captivating. I have a IIB somewhere mounted with a Jupiter-8, and can understand your comments around the fine rangefinders Canon built; mine is not in the condition yours appears here however, and the rangefinder is very dim. Once again, thanks for sharing with us.</p>

<p>Now <em>that's</em> what I call a fine collection...What a wonderful outfit, complete with all the cases and accessories. Great presentation, <strong>Louis</strong>, and the images are as good as we've come to expect; #'s 1, 2, & 3 would be running neck and neck for my choice of favourite. Thanks for a great post.</p>

Holy Toledo, that camera is awesome, Louis! That shiny steel finish with all the knobs make it look like a fancy pocket watch. And your pictures are amazing. I especially liked "Trees Against A Wall" and the portrait of Alex. Everything is so incredibly sharp, and it looks you really nailed the exposure.

<p>A wonderful presentation for a very deserving LTM 35mm rangefinder. The innovative variable, 50/100/135 focal length viewfinder developed by Canon deserves another mention.</p>

<p>It's awesome that you have such a full system of lenses and accessories for the IIF2. For example: I used to have a Canon P and was never able to acquire the tripod attachment that centered the lens with the head of the tripod. You have both the tripod attachment and its case.</p>

<p>As for the lens signature when shot wipe open, just go with the flow. My modern AF lens for my digital Nikon aren't that sharp or contrasty in the corners wide open and they vignette by at least an f/stop.</p>

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX