canon hot/dead pixels not covered under warranty?!?!

felix_mizioznikov

<p>

<p>I sent in my 5d2 for dead pixel repair, then get it back with the problem being worse so I send it in again. I get the camera back today, only two hot pixels compared to the about 20 when sent in. They also sent a note...</p>

<p>"the problem necessitating this repair is not covered by the limited warranty for your product. Accordingly, the repair is being provided to you as a courtesy only, "as-is" an without warranties of any kind, expressed or implied. furthermore, canon usa inc will not be responsible for any damage (including, without limitation, consequential damages and lost profits), cost, expense, loss or inconvenience as a result of these repairs. this courtesy repair does not, and is not intended to, constitute a waiver of canon usa inc's rights to charge you for any future repairs not covered under the limited warranty for your product" <br>

just thought I'd share.</p>

</p>

Most camera makers have some sort of limit on dead/stuck pixels. I'm not sure anyone guarantees absoluetly no stuck/dead/hot/cold pixels. Usually the warranty if for "more than X bad pixels", where X is some small number (5? 10?). It's usually very had to find out exactly what X is, but it's greater than one!

<p>Even the most beautiful models have a few zits or stray hairs and nobody seems to care. And, yep, all cameras have some dead or stuck pixels. Only 20 out of 21 million is pretty damn good!</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Peter, I read up on the self cloning procedures and they only work when applying noise reduction. The camera reads the dead pix as noise and removes it but when no noise reduction is applied it is still there. when I first sent it in there were 20 clusters, when I got it back there were 20 in completely different places, when I got it back again, only two. I could deal with two. I wonder what else is not actually covered. </p>

<p>Felix,<br />There is a better, less documented way, I have successfully used it on my 5D II. On this camera there is an automatic pixel mapping procedure invoked to map out bad pixels permanently. It is a one-time effort. Here's one article but there are many. Google around and check it out - it really works, here's one I found:<br>

<a href="http://www.slashgear.com/how-to-remove-stuck-pixel-on-your-digital-slr-2227392/">http://www.slashgear.com/how-to-remove-stuck-pixel-on-your-digital-slr-2227392/</a></p>