Canon G9 suitable for infrared?

I was about to do some IR photos with my G1 - but then it died. It was not

converted and I intended to throw a Hoya R72 on it. My question is - is the G9 as

suitable for IR as the G1 - or is the cut filter too strong and therefore shutter

speeds will be too long. I want to shot with the Hoya filter and am not interested

(at this point in time) in converting a camera. Would the G9 require too long

shutter speeds to be used?

If you point your TV remote at it, press a button, and can see a reasonably bright signal through the LCD you will get results although exposure time is on the long side. If you get a faint signal I wouldn't bother :-)

thanks for your response but I don't have a G9 to do this test. I am more interested in hearing from people with an unconverted G9 that has been used with a ir filter and what kind of shutter speeds were possible.

Mark,

I cannot answer your question. I shoot IR with a converted G9. However I have come across some photographers that successully shoot IR with G9's that have not been converted. The website is:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1010 . I suggest that you search this forum and see if your question has been answered and if not, pose your question on that forum.

Mark,

Before I had my G9 converted to IR. I was given a G2 which my brother-in-law and I converted to IR with a filter I purchased from Lifepixel. The g2 produced beautiful photo my earliest IR photo's in my gallery are taken with the G2. It was a wonderful f2 lens, once I figured out how to properly set custom WB, exposure, AF, all worked great. The only downsides of the G2 is that the LCD is difficult to see in the sunlight, so I used the OVF which showed only 75-80% of what sensor picked up. I got excellent photos from converted G2. Following is an photo taken with the G2.

http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/5501407-md.jpg

• 2 months later...

This is a bit belated, but I use my G9 unconverted. Am not sure why it needs to be converted, as I get excellent IR photos. (Regarding the test, remote control light is very bright through the LCD.) Except in fairly bright light and at 800 or 1600 ASA, you do need a tripod; but I would imagine that you would in any case, given how dark the filter is.

My advice: Don't spend the money on converting: Spend less than $25 for a simple Velbon tripod you can easily take anywhere, if you don't have one.

Paul

thanks for the advice Paul. i am currently trying the same thing with a G1 and G2 Canon. the G2 has shown a hot spot and I haven't tried the G1 yet. one question for you is what kind of shutter speeds to you need with the G9 say on a sunny day shooting at 5.6 iso100 ?

• 2 weeks later...