Canon G9 batteries dead

<p>A little background leading up to my question:<br /> I have a G9 that is just over two years old, along with several Canon Li-ion batteries for it. Up until recently, I never had a battery die in-camera. Recently I took it out of the bag to use and the battery was completely dead, so I fully recharged it, put it back in, reset the clock/time and took a few shots. About a week or so later when I tried to turn it on it was dead again. I just presumed the battery was at end of life, set it aside and put in another recharged battery. A week later that one was dead too. Now I'm trying it out with a third battery.</p>

<p>My question is whether anyone knows of a G9 problem that might cause it to start draining batteries even when turned off. I found nothing in the archives, but I do know from experience than some of the Sony P&S cameras would do this.</p>

<p>Li-ion batteries do have a limited life, but two years of modest use seems to be much less than the 3-5 years often specified, so as a test I am charging the defective(?) ones up again and will let them sit unused on the desk for some time to see if they still self-discharge over time. By comparison, my much older Nikon DSLR Li-ions have shown no sign of deterioration and still hold up as new, as do some other Canons I have. Very perplexing.</p>

<p>Any thoughts?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Rick, I've had similar experience with (physically) small Sony camera batteries, and curiously not with any other camera (regardless of make) taking larger size batteries of the same chemistry.</p>

<p>It's all a bit voodoo short of being a battery expert, but I've had some luck with a few charge/deep-discharge cycles which seems to revive the batteries, for a while anyways.</p>

<p>Another exercise that seems to prolong life is to rotate them in the charger weekly even if the camera is not in regular use. Leaving them in a <50% charged state seems to accelerate failure.</p>

<p>Rick, one way to test is have a friend or coworker that uses same battery test in their camera. For instance, I have two canon camcorders that use the same battery as my g9.</p>

<p>My g9 is about same age. All I know is when the "battery weak" symbol shows up, it doesn't take long to run out! I get extra batteries at sterlingtek.com Tom</p>