Canon G5 acessory Wide Angle Lens, How is it?

b_n_f

I have not found many user comments regarding the .7x wide angle

adapter for the Canon G5. I would like to know how the lens

performs, especially indoors and on tight city streets.

Please also tell me what the restrictions are, if any. Lastly, is it

a practical lens to use for travel photography, does the lens and

adapter readily come off and go back on?

Thanks in advance.

While I've not used it, so can't attest to its quality, I have seen it.

The lens appears to be very well made, real glass, heavy, etc. It's somewhat large, but that's no real surprise.

It (the lens) fits the adaptor like any 58mm filter would, so yes - it's easy to remove. The adaptor, is just a bayonet mount onto the camera (beware: You can put the adaptor on wrong - make sure you line up the dots to install it. Don't ask me how I know, just trust me on this).

All in all, whether or not it's portable is dependent on how much room you have in your bag. I don't think my Canon 85:1.8 takes as much space in the bag as the wide angle lens and adaptor for the G5 would.

I've used one quite extensively on a G3 and it works quite well with a few caviats. It's pretty big so it blocks the viewfinder, you have to use the screen to frame and focus, not bad unless you are in bright sunlight then your in trouble. There is quite a bit of distortion of straight lines near the edges, but that's normal for an uncorrected w/a lens this wide. It attaches via an adapter that goes on and off of the camera the same as a lens on an SLR, pretty slick really. Overall (except in bright sunlight) I enjoyed using it and the images it produces are first rate. I usually just left it on the camera and zoomed in and out from 24mm to about 111mm.

I have and use this lens on my G5 and am generally quite

pleased with it.

It is quite large-ish and with the lens adapter approximately

doubles the size of the camera. There is a slight falloff in

contrast as would be expected from an accessory lens, but

sharpness is good and depth of field is exceptional even at f/2.

There is noticable barrel distortion when using this lens so

whenever I'm using with architectural subjects I run the images

through a debarrelizing plug-in, which can be had as free

downloads (Panotools) or for a cost (I use theimagingfactory's

"Debarrrelizer")

I've attached a camera-on-the-floor shot with the accessory lens

of my Golden Retriever.<div>007Lb5-16577084.jpg.c43e8f01f61dd17b179fbadf35314c06.jpg</div>

• 3 weeks later...

I keep this converter on my G5 for a large percentage of my travel photos. Am very happy

with it -- it turns the G5 into a 24mm-100mm lens, which is just about perfect for most

situations outside of wildlife and sports.

Check out this full wideangle perspective of nesting penguins I shot just last month in

Antarctica at: http://www.pbase.com/image/2545320. Used at its full telephoto focal

length, I find its 24mm perspective ideal for controlling perspective and implying depth.

I also use Canon's 1.75x teleconverter for closer views of wildlife, etc. I purchased

separate adapters for each of these converters and keep them attached to them. Attaching

these converters is quick and easy -- just align two dots and twist!

The price is right, I use my LCD to compose all of my pictures anyway, so the blockage of

the optical viewfinder does not matter. (If I tried to get the same perspective with a

camera such as the Canon Digital Rebel, I would have to buy a 15mm SLR lens, which

would cost as much, if not more, than the G5 itself now sells for.)

• 4 weeks later...