Canon FTBn QL 50mm f/1.8

danac

Canon FTb QL with a Canon 50mm f/1.8 FD lens, Hoya UV filter, Lens cap, new carrying strap, new viewfinder eye cup. Also included is a Criscam adapter for common 386 batteries. In January 2021 master Canon technician Katsushige (Ken) Oikawa replaced the mirror cushion and light seals, cleaned, lubed and adjusted shutter speeds, meter and mirror box. The all-manual match needle meter reads a 12% rectangle in the viewfinder (same as the Canon F1). Shutter speed is displayed in the viewfinder. The Canon FD Lens is flawless. Camera and lens are in like new condition. Price is $260 firm. I can ship it within the continental USA for $18.

FTB1.JPG.201ced9a89253c6dafe725f751f5299b.JPG

FTbTop.JPG.956c858adbaf018b259430de752fdad5.JPG

FTBlens.JPG.00df85439aa79fc914d829d22879ba76.JPG

• Like 2
A book's a great place to hide out in - Trevanian

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my 1966 model second hand in London in 1974. It was already very used, but I never had any problems with it. It still works perfectly, although now I use digital. The poor thing is in a cupboard, along with other old glories, all of them full of dust.:(

I bought it with a FL 55 f1.2. Which I later exchanged for a Bronica S2a with Nikkor 75.

1908851405_1966FTQL.thumb.jpg.efa5033e18349a656745d835cb5efb1c.jpg

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me why this camera has not acquired a new owner? It looks like new, probably works better than new (I only exposed two rolls of B/W film since the recent CLA, the shutter works without a battery. Top of the line Duracell 386 batteries are $1.66 on Amazon. If you already own a Canon F-1 this is the best possible backup for it. I don't think the price is unreasonable at all. I am conflicted about selling it but whenever I reach for one of my (too many) Canon cameras I almost invariably choose the A-1 because that's what I am most used to. I have other cameras that will be sold for this simple reason.

Not in the market for a film camera, but Canon FTB's are for sale on eBay for a whole lot less than $260. Given the cost of the CLA, light seals, and battery adaptor that most of the cheaper FTB's on eBay will likely need, your price is reasonable, but many folks would opt for the cheaper upfront cost and take their chances on the condition. The FD 50 1.8 does not really add much to the package, but is nice to have.

Ken:

I see your point and have been thinking about this for awhile. Nearly all of my photography is for landscapes. What I need is maximum depth of field so I seldom use anything faster than an f/1.8 lens. I have a spare FD 50mm f/1.4 lens in perfect condition. I could combine the FTBn with this lens instead of the 1.8 and offer it without the eye cup and UV filter for the same price.

1.4.JPG.44947a97436ca3aa60a5df13191da9eb.JPG

1_43.JPG.636e7c743e7586f0978e83ff47028b63.JPG

In the past, the FD 50 1.8 was available for cheap used, but perhaps I was mistaken given the price KEH is now asking for an "Excellent" rated copy. Nevertheless, I would keep the 50mm that in your opinion renders best, regardless of the maximum aperture. The f1.8 is also lighter.

Best of luck. Any film camera I still own is collecting dust, including my dad's black body Canonet QL17, which still has a partially exposed roll of film from about 20 years ago in it.

I have a couple of 50mm FD/FDn f/1.4 lenses.

They are true classics, but you don't need to shoot them wide-open, tho' they do very nicely thataway.

Both in the Canon and Nikon series, I find the 'plastic fantastic' f/1.8-f/2 lenses a little "blocky' in oof highlights, but they are good and are usually very cheap.

Some reasons to shoot FD mount Canons:

Canon-FD-lenses.jpg.7470db6907c41766def9cfbde4b28e11.jpg

Edited by JDMvW

so much better than the plastic AF

You just can't let go of it can you?:rolleyes:

Like a few products of a thousand apes working in the assembly room, the occasional old lens is spectacular. Many of them are, however, useful only for "special effects". Some are major bow-wows.:D

Two of the best 'nifty fifties' I've come across are 'cheap' or lesser-known brands. A Chinon 55mm f/1.7 and an M42 fitting f/1.8 Fujinon spring to mind. There's also a stunning similarity between an old 55mm f/1.4 Mamiya Sekor and a Chinon lens of the same spec., both physically and optically.

WRT variability; I have two samples of Canonet (with underbody lever wind) that have lenses like chalk and cheese in their image quality. As for Jupiter 8s... need you ask?

On the whole though, you can scarcely tell any of the major brand Planar clones apart.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

• 2 weeks later...