Canon FD Photos of the Month: September 2017

Alex_Es

It's September, or nearly so, depending where you are. So let's do it FD, etc. shooters! Show us your photos! August was really good. So let us reprise our successes as autumn embraces us.

My contribution is a panoramic shot out of my window made with my trusty FDn 70-150/4.5 zoom and a Fujifilm X-E2. Now that autumn approaches our sunsets have become interesting again. That's Shodoshima (Shodo Island) out there. I'll post the picture after I post this.

Thanks Alex.

I really like this new Ferrania B&W film. I’m still learning it, and this stuff is so new Ferrania is calling it an “Alpha” film (not even a the Beta stage yet), but it has a very unique look. I look forward to exposing more rolls.

As for the Canonflex, it may have been a flop in the marketplace, but I do like the bottom wind. An acquired taste, that’s for sure, but it does allow for rapid film advance, if that’s what you want or need. Plus the build quality of the camera is exemplary. The camera is a pleasure to use.

• Like 1

The last of my Ferrania shots, for now. I have another roll in my Canonflex right now so we'll see how that turns out.

This is a 1938 Ford Rat Rod. Looks like hell on the outside, modern small-block Ford in the inside. Canonflex with R58/1.2, probably at F3.5.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/445165-1/p30_test2_13.jpg

• Like 3

I like this film. Very unique look. It’s actually motion picture film (which Fellini used) that Ferrania recently resurrected. I was part of the original Kickstarter program so had the option of buying five rolls for $5.00/each. Ferrania is calling this an “alpha” film as it was the first film they coated once they got the old coater up and running. The film is not yet available for sale to the general public, though Ferrania hopes to have their online store operating sometime later this month. Expect the price to be about $8.00/roll (36 exposure).

Because it’s a motion picture film, it’s meant to be processed in D-96 chemistry, which is not ready available. Ferrania has published development tables for other chemicals, like D-76 (which I’m using), Rodinal, and others. If you don’t have a darkroom, there are a few labs out there that will process the film.

In this day and age of digital, it’s so nice to have a brand new film to play around with.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
I tested several normal lenses (50mm - 58mm) on my Leica M240, all wide-open. The R 58mm had, by far, the most outrageous bokeh. I personally like the swirly effect. I shot RAW, so had to manipulate the image to increase contrast and add some sharpness. This lens has use as a portrait lens, especially when used wide-open.
  • Like 1