Canon FD Photos of the Month: October 2017

Alex_Es

It's already October first somewhere, so let's do it FD, FL, R and wherever shooters! Show us your stuff!

I've been having fun with three FL lenses, the 58/1.2, the 19/3.5 and the macro 50/3.5. I bought the last recently for about $20.00. I will be posting pix by and by but let me post this first.

Great shot, Jim. The FD 55/1.2 is a fine lens. I have the non-aspherical version.

For years I’ve wanted to test my large collection of 50mm lenses. I contacted a local model I know and arranged for her to come over one evening. She sat while I tested the following lenses on my Leica M240. All pics taken wide-open and one stop closed down.

1) 50/2.0 Leitz Collapsible Summicron

2) Canon 50/1.2 LTM

3) Canon 50/1.4 LTM

4) Canon 50/1.5 LTM

5) Nikkor 50/2.0 LTM

6) Canon R58/1.2

7) Canon FD55/1.2 ASPH

By far, the R58mm had the wildest bokeh. My favorite may be the Canon 50/1.5 LTM. It’s a Sonnar-type lens with a very unique signature, wide-open. Nice for portraits.

• Like 1

Jim, I was shooting in the f/9.5 to f/11 range to milk a little more depth of field while still minimizing camera shake.

It's interesting to read that #793 entered US Army duty in 1967. That bird is 50 years old!

The quality of Swan Lab's scans is pretty iffy, and this batch did not impress AT ALL for the number of dust spots and artifacts. And this was the extra cost "high quality" service. It may be time to mail them somewhere versus dropping them off at the local shop.

Edited by rick_janes
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...