Canon FD Photo of the Month: March 2017

Alex_Es

Conspirators by the Pond, somewhere in Iowa.

C41_BW_2017_01_10.jpg.f9e8e20282eb37e788c3f36cbab9b3b2.jpg

Had exposure issues with one of my AE-1 Program bodies this past weekend. Was getting goofy aperture values for 1/1000sec on Ilford XP2 (ASA 400) film. Also got a double exposure - not sure how THAT can even happen on an AE-1 Program, but it did.

• Like 3

Disappointed to see that this new website design apparently has the same old severe time limitations for a member to edit / delete his / her own posts...

Quite right Bill. It is really the same old stuff that is hard to work with and unpleasant to look at.

I have a Canon FL 55mm, f-1.2 lens that has a small ring with "A" (automatic) or "M" (manual) for using the lens independently in stop-down mode. When set to the "M" setting, the lens stops down independent of the camera. This would help with a digital camera incapable of metering an FL lens.

Apparently Canon dropped this when they made the FD 58mm, f-1.2 lens. So do you have an FD or FL lens?

John

Edited by john_ratliff|2

Yes, I realized that after I looked it up, that Canon did not make a FD 58mm lens. But my FL 55mm f-1.2 does have that stop-down feature.

I am going to upload a photo from a bicycle ride I took a few weeks back. I took along my Canon T-90, with my FD 70-210mm F-4 lens on it. It's not a top-of-the-line lens, but it's the one I've got. While on the bicyle trail, I found what at first I thought was a very large dog, only to look closer and see it was a very small pony, a Shetland pony that had gotten out of the home's yard and was loose on the open area beneath the powerlines where the bicycle trail also went through. It was a grassy park. The owner, a woman had "lost" two ponies, and had taken the one by the bridle into the yard, and was calling the other. It started running, and I got this shot of it on the move. Shutter speed, I think, was 125th second, and the lens was wide open at F-4. The film was Kodak 100TMAX.

John1642074895_Februaryride-pony.thumb.jpg.8dc5cfe1d80db6a4e649b10f1232c8aa.jpg

• Like 2

John, Canon did eliminate the “A-M” switch on the FD lenses. They can be put in manual mode by pushing the large lever on the back of the lens counter-clockwise until it locks. Mount the lens on the camera and it will be in manual-mode only.

Alex used his FL 58mm on a digital Leica. You need an adapter to do this and most have a “manual” mode that allows you to control the lens aperture. At least mine does.

Canon FDn 28-85 / 4.0...a handy lens for sure.

20mph winds at the Norfolk / Southern RR Yard today had our Flag snapping & popping but the old 1980's manual Canon FDn 28-85/4.0 lens even got the torn threads at the end of the flag.

Can't get an image to display...every time I try to use this new site it seems like something else has changed...

301637171_030717Flag@NSRRSwitchingYard51_PSWBBkLtAutLvlShpR.5xA300FrmGrad05.thumb.JPG.6fbefe49d0e111e98336fe8797634797.JPG

Dear Bill C. I just got home and got your distress signal. I am logged in automatically through my computer. I press Log in and it shows my info automatically. I press log in and that is it. It does not work with my iPad.

Dear Bill C. I just got home and got your distress signal. I am logged in automatically through my computer. I press Log in and it shows my info automatically. I press log in and that is it. It does not work with my iPad.

LOL...should have been more clear...I stay logged in OK via Firefox on my laptop...but not on my iPhone.

Also another problem...which I sent a PM about to a Staff member this morning:

Apparently the new site software has allowed another user to have the same ID as mine.

When I sent you that PM last night I also copied myself.

Next thing I know I started getting emails back from another member who set up using the same "Bill C" ID.

Didn't think website software allowed that to happen...will see what turns up.

LOL...should have been more clear...I stay logged in OK via Firefox on my laptop...but not on my iPhone.

Also another problem...which I sent a PM about to a Staff member this morning:

Apparently the new site software has allowed another user to have the same ID as mine.

When I sent you that PM last night I also copied myself.

Next thing I know I started getting emails back from another member who set up using the same "Bill C" ID.

Didn't think website software allowed that to happen...will see what turns up.