Canon FD lenses...how good?

Discussion in 'Canon FD' started by steven_moseley|1, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Yeah it is. :)
    Speaking 10 years later myself.......

Before using them to help sell off a few A Series bodies, i took plenty of Photos with Canon's "lousy" 35-70 zooms.
    Same thing with the similar Nikon...is it 47-80.?
    Anyway, unless you are going to be staring at photos to review...i hate to even say the stupid word anymore...Sharpness..... i am not sure what objection you would find with Any FD Lens. (certain circumstances always apply)
    FD was the lens that was sold by one of the Worlds top notch camera makers.
    My experience.?.......it takes a REAL BAD Lens to ruin the photographs of 99% of us.
    Pentax
    Canon
    Olympus
    Nikon
    Minolta
    They all made better glass than most of us deserved.:)

dennisbrown likes this.
  2. Ditto!

3. This is only anecdotal, since I don't have the references now, but the 50mm f1.4 FD was long considered THE standard by which other optics were judged. There were a lot of articles in Modern and Popular Photography magazines which lauded the lens. They were universally impressed with the contrast and lack of chromatic aberration.

I use both the Canon 50mm f1.4 FD, and my Nikon 50mm f1.4 AI-s lenses, and both are my "go to" lenses when I need speed and clarity. I've just been using an Olympus OM2-n, and its 50mm f1.8 is a very fine lens. As denny_rane noted:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018