Canon FD 400mm

<p>I own the 400mm f4.5 and can vouch for it being a very good lens. When I was shopping for it I repeatedly came across reports that the Sigma/Tamron equivalents out there at the time simply were not as good. I don't know if the Vivitar is made by those guys or Cosina or someone else.</p>

<p>The <em>original</em> Vivitar Series 1 lenses were always made for Vivitar, but often to Vivitar designs. The <em>current</em> crop of lenses sold under the names are just cheap lenses, for the most part.</p>

<p>If you Google™ finely enough you can find who made what for at least some of the lenses. It was typically outfits like the surviving 3rd-party lens makers of today.</p>

<p>The <strong>old</strong> Vivitar ranged from good to excellent.<br>

The old FD (fixed focal length) lenses probably clock in at excellent to superb,</p>

<p>but, given that there will always be sample variation and matters of historical treatment of a particular specimen, I'd be apt to think either one would be a good bet.</p>

<p>I don't remember ever seeing a 400mm/5.6 Vivitar marked Series 1. In markets outside of the U.S. some Vivitar lenses, like the 55/1.2 had a Series 1 marking. Vivitar sold a number of 400s between the late 1960s and the end of the 1970s. Of the f/5.6 models there was a Fixed Mount, a T4 and a TX. The Fixed Mount is long and skinny. The T4 and TX lenses have interchangeable mounts. The Fixed Mount and T4 models, if I remember correctly, were made by Tokina and have serial numbers starting with 37. The TX was made by Komine and has serial numbers starting with 28. The TX is also an IF (internal focusing) type. I think I have all three f/5.6 lenses. From my own experience and from what I have read, the TX is the best of the bunch. For now my longest Canon FD is a 300/5.6. </p>

<p>The 400mm f4.5 nFD is one of the finest telephotos ever made it has resolution numbers approaching some 50mm lenses. </p>

<p>None of the Third party lenses come close it in image quality</p>

<p>IMHO as some one who has owned a bunch of the third party lenses (though I admit nothing at 400mm that says Series 1 on it) </p>

<p>With my primary interest in wildlife photography, I bought a Canon FD 400/4.5 back in film days during the 80's...and have always considered it an excellent lens...and still shudder when I recall what I had to pay for it back then.<br /><br />Now retired and heavily reengaged in my photography hobby, my entire inventory of good Canon FD lenses I saved all these years are back in operation on some Sony NEX-7's...and I use the 400/4.5 so much that I bought a mint condition spare I ran across on Ebay last year at a very good low price.<br /> <br /> A quick example using the Canon FD 400/4.5 with a Canon FD 2x tele-extender, ISO400. <br />Cardinals were about 50' away...pretty sharp for 800mm:<br>

<br /> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wTSjMm4xmk<br>

(not sure why this YouTube link isn't active in this thread...cut and paste it in your Browser)</p>

<p>If you don't mind adapters the Mamiya M645 500mm F5.6 is a great lens on full frame. It can be found for about $400 - $500 used. I use mine on EOS (rarely FD) and it does a great job. It is very sharp but quite big. Its performance is on a par with the 70-200 F2.8 and 70-200 F4 IS lenses when they are used with a 1.4x adapter and very close to them when used without an adapter. </p>

<p>While it is many years since I have used the 400 F4.5 I am sure the Mamiya is better (indeed it feels sharper than the old FD 400 F2.8!</p>

<p>Not an FD lens but worth consideration.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>HI !<br>

I've shot the Canon FD 400mm f/4.5 with NEX7 too.<br>

While one can get pretty good results, the main issue is CA when shooting birds on bright sky, as an example.<br>

No big deal to correct though.<br>

So a good lens, for sure.<br>

Nevertheless, I have to say the newer Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L is MUCH better. Even with Canon 1.4x II attached.<br>

Well, you'd better use a tripod with Nex 7 then, since you get non-stabilized 840mm equivalent !</p>

<p>Enjoy!<br>

and have a good day<br>

Raoul</p>