Canon FD 35mmTS with Mamiya 645

lex_harris

<p>I've been shooting 35mm for a long time and am just now beginning with MF. I just bought a Mamiya 645 Pro with 80mm f1.9 which I'm really looking forward to using. As my main interest is landscapes I'm now also looking for a wide angle lens to use with the Mamiya. I know there are lots of nice MF wide angle lenses to choose from, but it occurred to me that I have one lens in my Canon FD collection with a larger image circle that MIGHT just do the job, the FD 35mm f2.8 Tilt-shift. This lens has an image circle diameter (conservatively rated) of 58.4mm, that is if it's not shifted or tilted. That doesn't completely cover the 56 x 41.5 image area of the 645, but it comes close. And in 35mm format I get really sharp images even with maximum tilt/shift so it would be very interesting to see what it might deliver in 645 format (not tilted or shifted of course). The question is this - has anyone ever heard of an adaptor for Canon FD lens to Mamiya 645 body?</p>

<p>Unfortunately, it does not work -- the problem is that the distance between the film and the lens mount is much greater on the Mamiya than it is on FD (or any 35mm SLR). This is like adding extension tubes to the lens. So while it might have a large enough image circle, you would only be able to focus in the macro range. A few inches or so usually. Infinity would be completely out of focus. </p>