Canon FD 28mm 1:2:8 aperture ring not functioning?

jc_mcguire

<p>I have a Canon FD 28mm lens, not the kind with the silver ring. I know that the lens must be mounted to the camera in order for the aperture to work, however, when it is mounted the aperture remains wide open even though I am turning the ring all the way to 22. In the viewfinder, the frame does not get darker like with my 50mm lens with the silver ring.<br>

Oddly, when I go to mount the lens, while turning it into the locked position, I can see the aperture close down, then when locked it opens back up and remains that way. <br>

The camera's meter functions though, which seems odd since the aperture stays open. For example, the loop moves up and down the frame as I rotate the aperture ring or change the shutter speed, and then the needle lines up with it as need be. <br>

How do I fix this?</p>

<p>UPDATE: I found a Youtube video explaining how to "enable manual aperture adjustment" here:

<br />So I did exactly as shown, and my lens does exactly what his lens does. But when I put the lens back onto the camera, the aperture remains open even when rotating the aperture ring. Shouldn't my camera's viewfinder get darker as I rotate the ring (I have an AT-1)? Or does it stop down to whatever I set it as when pressing the shutter? </p>