Canon FD 100-200mm f/5.6

jeremy_scheihing

I am considering purchasing a used Canon FD 100-200mm f/5.6 S.C.

zoom lens. Physically, the lens is in great shape. The glass is

nice and has no scratches or any other problems. The lens is from

the early 1970s and has the chrome ring. Has anyone had any

experience with this lens? I would like to know more about them

before possibly buying one.

I have owned over 75 Canon FD lenses I currently own over 40. I will never ever own a 100-200mm f5.6 again. ONCE was more then enough. If Canon ever made a dog this is it. Sorry $25.00 is to much to pay for one. ANY of the Canon 70/80-200/210mm f4.0 zooms are much much better. An early version of the lens can only be worse then the mid 70's version I had.

Was I to blunt?

Mark W.

You response was right on, I too fall into the league of ex-owners of this lens. Lets see, slow, not sharp and takes up room in the camera bag. I gave mine away. Don't know if I did the fellow a favor or not. I suspect it's physically in great shape because it wasn't used very often.

Bob

I owned two, chrome breach lock, and FDn. In the end I sold them to buy a 200 f/4 prime. They're large, too slow to use the prism, and probably not all that sharp though I never really tested them for sure. The length of the lens barrel makes a great lever arm for swinging the camera around on cheaper tripods. I know store both a 100 f/2.8 and 135 f/3.5 in the space it took to store one of these.