Canon F1(Original) Camera Body

stuart_pitt

<p>Stuart, as far as I know there is no such designation on any of the F-1's (F-1, F-1n, or F-1N). If you could post a photo of the body, it might help us determine which version you have.</p>

<p>You also might want to visit the Canon Camera Museum to help you identify your F-1. The F-series page is at:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/series_f.html?lang=us">http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/series_f.html?lang=us</a>.</p>

<p>The EP, in a little diamond-shaped enclosure, is common on Canon rangefinders from the 1950s. It denotes a camera sold-- at a considerable discount-- to U.S. service personnel at post exchanges. The EP symbol identified these cameras, because they were not supposed to be resold to non-military people.</p>

<p>I haven't seen this mark on a reflex camera myself, but I don't live in the U.S., and I bet this will be familiar to some of the U.S. denizens of this forum.</p>

<p>The <EP> mark was originally CPO which stood for Central Purchasing Office. It was something set up by General Mc Carther after WWII as a way to show the Japanese people how much the Occuping American forces were doing to bolster the countrys economy after WWII. As time went on the mark was changed to the <EP> to denote items bought by the US Government for sale through NAVY Exchange or Army PX stores. You can find the mark on a LOT of Canon RF cameras bought in the 50's The mark appears to get MUCH rarer as the 60's progress most likely because so many less troops were stationed in Japan. The most common place to find the <EP> mark I have run into is on 1970's to mid 1980's Pioneer stereo gear as well as a couple other brands that were so popular with our young service men and women during that time period.<br>

I would say that to find a F-1 with the <EP> mark is a pretty rare thing nowdays. Not really worth any extra that I would think of.</p>

<p>Actual Military Canons were bought and used by the US NAVY and run through a number of bodies including the mechanical F-1 and F-1n As well as the later New F-1 (I have one of these) The A-1 and AE-1P as well as a few T-70's were all purchased by the US NAVY. These will all have a factory looking engraving on them stating; US NAVY as to the matching lenses.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I was stationed in Japan from 1959 to 1967. I also saw the EP mark on several Canon's and, as Mark said, other Japanese made products (cameras and stereo gear) as well. I was told by the BX employees (local Japanese) the EP meant Export Product to avoid the Japanese Value Added Tax (VAT Tax) the Japanese Government put on luxury goods sold on the Japanese market. I understood EP was also a way for the Japanese/US Customs people to manage export to the US. To my knowledge, one never saw EP-marked camera gear in shops off-base. Separate from the EP designation, but possibly related, I recall for a short time in the early-mid 60's some Japanese camera/electronic goods were prohibited from duty-free import into the US by GI's returning to the US. These prohibited goods were appropriately marked in the BX so the GI buyer would know. That prohibition was largely ignored by the GI buyer and did not last long. My sense was when the companies effected established US-based counterpart corporations (follow the money) the import restriction went away. I don't believe the EP mark has any significance to Canon collectors.</p>

<p>Don B in Hampton Roads</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I was stationed in Japan from 1959 to 1967. I also saw the EP mark on several Canon's and, as Mark said, other Japanese made products (cameras and stereo gear) as well. I was told by the BX employees (local Japanese) the EP meant Export Product to avoid the Japanese Value Added Tax (VAT Tax) the Japanese Government put on luxury goods sold on the Japanese market. I understood EP was also a way for the Japanese/US Customs people to manage export to the US. To my knowledge, one never saw EP-marked camera gear in shops off-base. Separate from the EP designation, but possibly related, I recall for a short time in the early-mid 60's some Japanese camera/electronic goods were prohibited from duty-free import into the US by GI's returning to the US. These prohibited goods were appropriately marked in the BX so the GI buyer would know. That prohibition was largely ignored by the GI buyer and did not last long. My sense was when the companies effected established US-based counterpart corporations (follow the money) the import restriction went away. I don't believe the EP mark has any significance to Canon collectors.</p>

<p>Don B in Hampton Roads</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The only piece of Canon equipment I have with the EP mark is a 135/2.5 FL lens. When I was a teenager a neighbor of ours had a Canon rangefinder with interchangeable lenses. He referred to it as his Canon EP but I think it was the same EP mark my 135 has.</p>

• 7 years later...

<p>Hey everyone,<br /> After reading this I figured I'd better upload some photos of my Canon F-1.<br /> You will notice the two markings on the camera and one on the lenses rear mounting ring<br>

I POSTED THE REAR LOGO AND LENS LOGO MARKINGS FOR YOU ALL<br>

<br /> Frank<em><strong> <br /></strong></em></p><div>00e3Fz-564333584.thumb.jpg.4e6d09356fd10c702e760a45bc089fad.jpg</div>