Canon EOS Rebel T1i -- good for night time sports?

daniel_thomas4

<p>I shoot photos of high school football for our local HS football team (for the team website & local media). So obviously there are times when I'm in low light stadiums.</p>

<p>I currently use my parents Canon Rebel XT, with my 70-200 F/2.8L lens and for the last 2 years I've been very happy with the results, especially after an experienced photographer gave me a tip on setting my ISO maxed (1600) and adjusting the White Balance and now I'm getting great pictures and maxing the FPS. Got me away from that big and bulky Flash attachment.</p>

<p>I've been stuck looking at the Canon T1i. I especially like the price range, the megapixels, especially the 3" LCD screen (ahhhhhhhh), the higher ISO, and the FPS is a little bit faster than the XT.</p>

<p>I'm curious to know from those who have the T1i, is it and upgrade from the XT for night time football photos? or is the difference between the XT and the T1i so negligible that I should stick to the XT or buy something better? If so, any recommendations? The budget is limited, so I would want a Canon that has the biggest bang for the lowest buck.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p><div>00Wu1O-261817584.jpg.7138dcac841dfc156d26c460fb433543.jpg</div>

<p>Unlike your XT which has very limited and indifferent quality at what are now "moderate" ISOs, the T1i does have considerably higher ISOs available (by using the expansion you can make 12,800 available). If you do so, remember that a little noise never hurt anybody, so long as you get the shot. That extra speed alone would be worth the upgrade. You are used to the control system used in the consumer cameras, so..<br>

Video for sports never hurt either.</p>

<p>I think it could be a better deal for you than a 40D for sure, and maybe even a 50D, given what you can get for the lower price.</p>

<p>I have not used it, but I'm entertaining the idea of getting the T2i. If you are doing web site work the HD video would be a huge step in capabilities for the site. You can put the videos on youtube and embed them in your site, very easy. Of course you are one person and you have to decide if you want stills or video of a particular situation. But it is nice to have the choice, and yes the video will be excellent. The down side is that you will need a video editor and a large hard disk. That could add a could of hundred dollars to the final cost, but they are not immediately needed.</p>

<p>The extra stop of exposure you can get with the T1i or T2i will help you out a lot and give you more keepers. I had a similar situation and was very happy to get an extra stop, had more decent shots and had less issues with noise. I would think the T2i has a little better low light performance, that with the video to me is more than enough reason to look at the T2i. </p>