canon eos mark 5d II

blanche_blanc

<p>i'd like to buy a new prime lens for this camera i have got only a 50mm 1,8<br>

prime lens<br>

do you suggest me 50mm 1,4 or 85mm 1,8?<br>

Which lens has got a better construction <br>

and offer be a better quality image?<br>

thank you<br>

so much<br>

(i know that 50 1,2 or 85mm 1,2 are better but i'm on budget :)</p>

<p>Didn't you just buy a Nikon 85mm/f1.8 AF lens for either a Nikon D90 or D700? And you also own a Canon 5D Mark II as well? If you are indeed on a budget, you are much better off consolidating into just one camera brand; either Canon or Nikon can serve you well. Buying a Nikon 85mm/f1.8 and a Canon 85mm/f1.8 is not exactly cost effective.<br /> <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00ZQJY">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00ZQJY</a></p>

<p>I have both these lenses (and 5DII) obviously the focal length is a big issue - if you need a better 50mm lens get the 50 F1.4. In terms of construction the two lenses are very similar and you need to buy a lens hood as an extra for either of them. In terms of image quality (and AF speed) the 85 F1.8 is the better lens. It is very good at F1.8 and by F2 have amazing IQ - as good or better than many of my Canon lenses that cost 3-4 times as much! The 50 f1.4 is also a good lens but I find that it is quite soft until F2. Given you have the 50 f1.8 I would go for the 85 f1.8</p>

<p>This link may help<br>

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=115&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=2&LensComp=106&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0</p>

<p>yes i own different cameras because i bought these dividing the cost with my best friend <br /> we bought lst week an AF 85MM NIKON 1,8 <br /> and i'd like to know if the canon 85mm 1,8 is better that this one?</p>

<p>when we started we had canon and nikon different kit so we decided to buy everything that we needed sharing the cost and using the two brands<br>

because canon eos mark has video<br>

for example<br>

and sometimes we prefer a d90 that is not heavy and useful when we are travelling :)<br>

but we had not a good set of lenses for canon eos mark 5 d :(</p>

<p>Whatever,<br>

The EF 50mm f/1.8 is not quite so good on the 35mm-sensor as it is on APS-C (see <a href="http://www.photozone.de/all-tests">Photozone.de</a> tests on each platform). On the other hand, the EF 85mm f/1.8 is a different focal length, good for portrait and street work.</p>

<p>So you have to choose between upgrading to a finer lens in the same focal length and expanding the range. You have to decide what you want. Both options are good in their own way.</p>

<p>Well, of course, the 50 on a 5D II is still a 50, but on the D90 it is magically like a 75.</p>

<p>The 85 on the 5D II is till an 85, but on the D90 it is magically like a 127.5.</p>

<p>So, as I see it, you have a 50, a 75, an 85, and a 127.5</p>

<p>Have you thought about what you are going to be shooting? Sometimes that helps us make lens focal length decisions.</p>

<p>I would be looking at something wide right now, but, hey, that's just me.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>