Canon EOS Elan 7 vs Nikon N80 vs Minolta Maxxum 7

paul_martinez5

I've just recently began taking photography more seriously in my life

as opposed to the recreational uses of a camera that ive always had.

In my short experience with photography in a serious forum, Ive taken

several classes to study up on the new functions of the more advanced

cameras as well as there many applications. Im presently in the

market for a new camera and have researched this for quite sometime

now. My interests in photography have grown and the applications of

which i use the camera have as well. Ive been taking pictures of all

sorts (portraits, scenic, action shots - atheltic events), and I dont

know which way to go for a camera.

Im looking to purchase a camera that would be able to support my

interests as well as provide me with room to grow.

Ive been looking at Canon's EOS Elan 7 and the EOS 3, Nikon's N80 and

F100, and the Minolta Maxxum 7. It just seems as if i cant determine

which is best for my needs and experience. I know that these are all

well rated, i just have got to that point that I think its best to

ask for advice from a more knowlegeable resource.

How about making lists of features you <B>need</B> and features you would <B>like</B>. That might help filter out some bodies. Then what level of use? The F100 is much more durable than the F80. Will you be shoving 100's of films a year through it? If so the F100 is the best. For sports the F100 has a faster motordrive than the F80. And so on.

Then there is the question of which system you want. Do you need very fast silent autofocus? Canon and Nikon have that, Minolta don't. Do you need image stabilisation. Canon and to a lesser extend Nikon have that, Minolta don't. Do you need a long micro lens. Don't think Minolta have that (might be wrong). Will you want to go digital? Canon and Nikon have that, Minolta don't (yet, but they will I am sure).

Canon and Nikon seem pretty much on a par. Search the archives and you might find one appeals more to you than the other.

(Did I manage to say Minolta is the lesser system in such a way that I don't get lots of indignant postings?)

Also see <A HREF="http://www.photozone.de/bindex2.html">here</A> for a good summary of the pros and cons of each system.

<A HREF="http://mysite.freeserve.com/ukfungi/">Leif<A>

Thank You for the prompt responses. I will look into the available lenses and spec's for each model to differentiate between them further. Right now im developing about 3-5 rolls a week, the N80 wouldnt be able to handle that? the Elan 7 niether? So it would be much more benificial to look at the F100 and EOS 3 from the start and work from there?...

You mentioned digital... do these cameras have features im unaware of? or are you speaking of the digital models these manufacturers have like Nikon's D100 or Canon's D60. Do you think that these would be better than film?

Just a plug for the Elan 7, great camera. Only way to decide on a camera is to establish what you need/want in the camera, establish a price range, figure out the cameras that meet that criteria, then go out and handle each one. Which feels more intuitive to you, feels best in your hand, makes you want to take pictures with it? For me it was the Elan 7 (helps that I was already shooting EOS). BTW, as far as workload goes, I've had my 7 for about a year, I average 6-10 rolls a week (I'm very involved with my HS yearbook and newspaper staffs, plus do portraits/events whenever I can) the camera looks and works like I bought it yesterday. Happy shopping

Leif,

Thanks for the link, the initial article is excellent and there are several ajoining articals im looking at, great info to learn from. I really appreciate it!!! It still looks like there is still much to research before making this decision. Thanks again Everyone!!! Please feel free to still post, i'm all ears...

If you get a chance, hold each and operate the controls before you buy. Many things I like about my EOS 30 are pretty subjective. With the vertical grip, it just happens to be a very good size, weight, and shape for my hands. I like having the aperture controlled from the camera body instead of the lens. I like having autofocus on a button under my thumb instead of on the shutter release. I like the quietness of the shutter and motors. Custom Functions let me get picky about which button does what and how the onboard flash behaves, etc.

I find it a pleasure to shoot with, but you might find each of these things useless or downright irritating. Don't overlook the subjective and intangible.

Paul,

Leif did a great job in directing you to the questions. Really, the field is wide open for you. At this stage, may I suggest a moderately price body since you might not yet know what you want (more importantly your requirements may change quickly)? I think you'll do fine with the Elan 7, N80 or Maxxum 7. The EOS 3 and F100 are too much money in my opinion at this stage.

At 3 to 5 rolls a week, I doubt that you'll run any of the Elan 7, N80 or Maxxum 7 to the ground. What will likely happened is you'll want (need perhaps) something else before any of these get to even half of their useful shutter life.

Here is quick run down on the unique features or strong points of each bodies. Elan 7 will give you the lowest noise level and fastest focus, could be a big advantage for sport and wildlife photography. N80 has an electronic grind, great of building photography or for composition. Maxxum 7 can remember the f-stop and shutter speed (not sure about exposure compensation), so you don't have to take notes. But, then again, you got to know what you want. That is why I am suggesting a moderately price body. You're definately on the right track.

Best of luck and do let us know what you decided on. I was debating the very same question myself a couple of years ago.

Again you are all more helpful than i ever expected. In my recent searches for additional specs on these models. In reference to the Canon models Ive been looking at. I keep coming accross the Canon EOS Elan 7e, the Elan 7eQD,and the Elan 30date. Are these one and the same? Or different models of the same body? Or different cameras altogether? I cant seem to get any info to differentiate between them.

I use an Elan IIe (predecessor to the Elan 7e). Two to three rolls of film a week? I've run 25-30 rolls of film through my Elan IIe in a single day. As far as I can tell, shutter accuracy and reliability are still going strong after years of use.

Based on my experience with the Elan IIe, I would highly recommend that Elan 7 or 7e. My personal reasons are as follows:

1. Mirror lock- I use this feature on a regular basis. On the Elan II/IIe, it's actually a 2-second mirror lock/pre-fire. On the Elan 7/7e, it is true mirror lock. It's a valuable and useful feature to have. N80 doesn't have mirror lock. Not sure about the Minolta.

2. Electronic cable release. Better than any plunger-style cable release you'll ever use. It isolates vibration better. It's more flexible. It activates autofocus. And locking it for bulb exposures is a one-hand operation. Cheaper than the best plunger-style cable releases, too. N80 uses a plunger-style cable release. Not sure about the Minolta.

3. Eye Control Focus. It's a personal preference. Not for everyone, but I like it a lot. Only Canon has ECF.

4. DEP mode. (Not to be confused with depth-of-field preview.) You can set near-far depth-of-field points by autofocusing on them. The camera then sets the appropriate focus, aperture, and shutter settings to achieve that designated depth of field. Very convenient. Only Canon DEP.

5. Ultrasonic Motors on almost all Canon lenses. Quiet, fast, smooth autofocus. Nikon has their version (AF-S) on some zooms and their long telephoto primes, but they don't have it on any of their shorter prime lenses. You can't get AF-S on lenses such as 50mm, 85mm, 100mm primes. Minolta currently doesn't have any sonic motors.

6. Image Stabilization lenses. Canon has a very wide selection of them. I have the 28-135 IS USM and 100-400L IS USM. Love IS. Nikon has their version called VR, but right now they only have two. Minolta doesn't have any VR/IS technology.

Here goes my personal reasons for Nikon.

1) Spotmeter. N80 has it, Elan doesn't, don't know Minolta. A separate spotmeter costs $400, even this feature alone is enough justification for N80.

2) On demand grid lines. Excellent aid for composing, also they are illuminated in dark.

3) Superior flash metering of Nikon than Canon, don't know Minolta.

4) Provision for mechanical cable release that costs $5; electronic one is a $50 rip off, that does the same basic thing with bangs and whizzles. Mine works even after being dropped in water, never try this with an electronic one.

That said, every brand has its own set of features, least thing you'd do would be solely relying on others' decisions in forums like that; spend some time at a shop and shoot a test (slide) roll with either camera if possible. That way you can see whether if MLU improves anything, or if an in-lens focusing motor improves things, or whether a distance metered flash system gives better results.

F80 vs F100 - well the F100 is a pro body and the F80 is the top amateur body and a much cheaper, very good cut down little brother to the F100. Both will last you for years and years. If you're serious about an SLR, stick to Canon or Nikon. Its a personal choice based on feel etc. Try both out and see what you think...

From a brief scan of the posts no one seems to have mentioned the Maxxum 7 so I guess I will put a plug in for it. I have this camera (bought it about 6 months ago). I can't really compare it with the Canon's or Nikon's (since I have never owned one) except to say that I believe the latter are considerably more expensive (for the same features) and seem to be more popular with the pros. I got into photography when I took a trip to Provo, Utah a couple of years ago for training and was frustrated by the fact that I couldn't do justice to the beauty of the scenery and landscape with my cheap one shot camera. Having lived in Florida all my life to see the mountains of Utah was jaw dropping. I decided when I returned home that would never happen again. So I went for a Maxxum 5 to test the waters. This is a good camera with plenty of features for a beginner and almost idiot proof. I soon got bored the Maxxum 5 and wanted to move up to the more advanced offerings of minolta. Since I had already invested so much money and time in minolta lenses I decided to stay in the minolta family and the one I could afford was the Maxxum 7. I am told this camera is the most sophisticated technologically in the minolta lineup although not as rugged as the Maxxum 9 that has the metal casing. I can tell you from using it for about six months now that I it is a very good machine and very competitively priced. Although the case is made of plastic it is a hard plastic and does seem more durable than most plastic bodies. With the VC-7 grip (you should get it if you are going to spend this kind of money) it looks and feels great. The control this camera gives you is phenomenal. I expect to own it for many years to come and eventually take it on some trips to Alaska and the pacific northwest that I hope to make in a year or two. I have read that there is bias out there among the pros against the minolta product line. I don't know if that's true since I do photography for personal gratification (I work with databases and write software for a living) and not for profit. Still I am inclined to believe there might be some truth to that statement. My recommendation is that you take a close look at the Maxxum 7 before you decide on the others.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again,

I have been looking into the Maxxum more and I think it does come off on top compared to the Elan 7 and the N80, when i compare the fuctions of the body anyway... As far as the lenses go, Im still not sure...

But i appreciate all the advice, it's been a great help.

• 2 months later...

Hello everybody. I'm in the same situation of Paul, but just between the Nikon N80 ando the Canon EOS 7. Today I'm thinking the Nikon N80 is better to me because I'm not so interesting in the most fast AF and I prefer a better system metering, and better metering in low light conditions. But I'm afraid of the build quality of the Nikon N80, and thet fact that a lot of people has told about origin defects in the Nikon N80, and I have listened the Nikon N80 has limits of the matrix metering with Program mode at f/12.7 and 1/500 (at ISO 100), Ithink it'd be a problem. I'd appreciated your comments.

Regards.