Canon EOS A2E

Tony-S

Still digging this camera. I also have an EOS 3 but it seems to have developed the infamous shutter-magnetic release problem. I'll try banging on the floor a few dozen times to see if I can rescue it.

In the meantime, a few shots from the reliable A2E. This camera has been really reliable and has nearly all the features I need. I wish the eye-controlled focus worked in portrait mode, and I wish it had more focus points. But it's rare to miss focus with this thing.

EF 135mm f/2 + Kodachrome 25 (my very last roll).

1318246965_K25A2e135L1.thumb.jpg.95dcc7ebd96fb9d5b4b55a0374d7e648.jpg

Zeiss ZE 35mm f/2, Provia 100.

1098785218_ProviaA2EZE35mm1.thumb.jpg.a69adbef486e00bad0edc8499dffb7e0.jpg

548495403_ProviaA2EZE35mm.thumb.jpg.748a6d4dc83469d7b5a48fe6fe360721.jpg

181452401_ProviaA2EZE35mm2.thumb.jpg.0e8e0f4116da9e3a61294a0f8ad3d51d.jpg

• Like 3

If you're mechanically inclined and willing to assume the risk, you could try repairing your EOS 3 rather than banging the crap out of it. There are a bunch of DIY videos online, such as this one:

I was successful at repairing my EOS 1n by cleaning the electromagnet. Once I got the shutter working, I exercised it by tripping the shutter a dozen or so times daily for a month or two which loosened it up significantly. Lately, I've been checking it weekly and it's still running fine.

The A2E was (because of a patent problem with eye-controlled focus in portrait mode) a little restricted in function, and many of us prefer the overseas model, the EOS 5.

More details at

EOS 5 (variant in USA ~A2e) - another historical Canon EOS camera

where there is also other discussion and examples.

Here is the camera with the add-on battery extension VG10

450365165_CanonEOS5(variantinUSAA2e).jpg.331bc11678edebf39b6b48d00c7e12dd.jpg

Glad to hear you've got your EOS 3 working again. The EOS 1n I repaired was purchased used and with a non-working shutter. I don't know how long it was in this condition, but it was at least several years. That's why I exercised the shutter as extensively as I did. If your EOS 3 developed its problem recently, you shouldn't need to exercise it as much as I did to keep it in good working order.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The EOS A2 (minus the "E") was my first autofocus SLR back in the 90s, and it was my trusty companion everywhere I went, including a 3-week trip to Indonesia. It was always reliable and performed without a hitch. At the time I bought it my choice was between it and the Nikon N90, but the A2 felt better in my hand and it was quieter. I remember marveling at the 5 AF points and how they could track a moving subject so well. To me the only thing I wanted the A2 to do better was for the AF to lock on to a subject and track it all over the viewfinder, but that was high fantasy back then. Interestingly my EOS R6 will do exactly that! I still have an A2, though not my original one; I sold it in 2002 to help fund purchase of my 1vHS, but nostalgia hit recently, so I have another A2 with the grip and 430EZ flash. It's great seeing one in use again. Thanks for sharing this!

Andy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I really wanted a T90 when it came out, but I was a poor graduate student at the time and couldn’t afford it. I considered myself lucky considering it was the second to last FD mount camera. But even now, the shutter problem prevents me from buying one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

That was very cool. So any explanation what the magnet is doing? Tugging on stuck metal mechanism, inducing a voltage in some circuit with magnetic field passing across a wire inside a wire in the camera? Spooky magic...lol.

Edited by Mark Keefer
Cheers, Mark