Canon EOS 5D II + Speedlite 430EX compatibility

dallalb

<p>Hi, I own a Canon Speedlite 430EX and I used it with my Canon EOS 3 film camera. Now I purchased a Canon EOS 5D II camera and I'm wondering if the Speedlite 430EX is fully compatible with this new camera: in particular can I take advantages of the ETTL II technology or should I move to the 430EX II version? I ask this because I've noticed two strange things: first I have not the full control of the flash funcions via the camera LCD menu (some options are fixed and not selectable); second if I shoot with the 430EX and the EF 24-105 zoom lens I cannot see the distance information on the rear LCD flash display.<br>

Thank you if you will share your knownledge and experience.<br>

Alberto.</p>

<p>I use a 550EX quite happily with my 5DII. The only limitation on a FF body is that most detailed flash controls have to be set on the flash itself, and cannot be set from the body. I assume the same will apply to any of the early EX flashes. E-TTL II is a body capability not a flash capability, so if you camera body supports E-TTL II (and the 5DII does, of course) then that's what you wil get with any EX flash.</p>

<p>On a 1.6-factor body the situation is a bit different because flashes of the 550EX vintage (not sure about the 430EX) don't understand about smaller sensor sizes and on auto zoom will set the head to what any particular focal length requires for FF. That's always "safe" but does not make full use of the available light.</p>

<p>I use a 430EX with my 5D II. The only serious limitation that I'm aware of is I do not believe the flash can be set for second-curtain sync otherwise functionality is pretty much the same as with the 430EX II. With the newer models of body-controllable speedlights it is possible to access second curtain sync.</p>

<p>I use a 420EX on my EOS3, 7e & 50D.</p>

<p>Inside the front cover of the 420EX's User's manual it lists what features the flash provides with either the Type A or Type B EOS Cameras. And will also show which EOS bodies are which <strong>at the time the flashes manual was printed. </strong><br />My 50D was not in production when the 420EX was, but somewhere in the Cameras User's manual will tell you if your EOS is a Type A or B.<br />My 50D is a Type A, and in the 420EX's manual has separate chapters for Type A and Type B cameras. Only pages 9 to 30 and 39 to 53 apply to my Type A Cameras.</p>

<p>I recently had to "break out" the User's manuals to refresh myself. It had been awhile since I had done any indoor flash work, and I too was wondering if my ancient 420EX would be compatible, and what features I could use with my 50D.</p>

<p>All three of my EOS bodies are Type A, so I expect your 5D II is also.</p>

<p>It may take a little "in-depth" study of both the Cameras manual as well as the flashes manual to gain full advantage of all their features and CFn settings. It did for me!</p>

<p>I use a "vintage" 430EX with my 5DII and it works perfectly. True, not all functions are accessible via on-board camera menus. However, you can set them on the flash so no biggie. The feature I use most--FEC--works with camera controls so I'm a happy camper. I don't think it's worthwhile to upgrade to the the 430EXII unless your 430EX breaks or you decide you need 2 units.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter