Canon EOS 5D bait & switch warning

tarashnat

I was recently looking for a 5D camera (12.8 megapixel), and in my searches I came up with a pair of sites that were offering bodies for

between $849 & $999 US. Both sites had many packages based on the bodies, most including non-manufacturer lenses and all sorts of

accessories. The first site cancelled my web order as the package was out of stock for 6-8 weeks. The second site seemed a bit more

promising, but after two days my order status changed to "Call to Confirm". When calling, I was told that the package did not include either

a battery or charger, though it does list a "Power Inverter" to lull those just scanning the list of items quickly, and quoted prices of $189

and $299 for the two items. I said the I needed to do some more research. After calling back, I politely stated that I did not require the

items. The person on the phone then asked if I wanted the plastic body or the one with the magnesium frame. I replied that the web site

clearly states that it is the magnesium body, and offered to read it to him. At this point the person claimed that I was rude to him and that

my order was cancelled. It appears that despite the 877 (US toll free number) the operation is most likely outside of North America. My

guess is that if I would have taken all the items offered, I would not have paid less than US retail for the camera, and be stuck with a load

of junk bundled with it. I decided not to print the links, as these people may change their URLs as a matter of their business model. I ended

up ordering a used camera from a reputable dealer. I am posting this experience as a warning to those who may feel tempted by those too

good to be true deals, because they are too good to be true.

<br><br>

Taras

<p>Though it's now burried in the site's basement under a pile of boxes, I did write an article for photo.net on this topic 6 years ago! See <a href="http://www.photo.net/equipment/caveat_emptor">http://www.photo.net/equipment/caveat_emptor</a>. Things aren't getting any better either.</p>

<p>I also have a somewhat more recent (2008) article at <a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/photo_gear_buyer_beware.html">http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/photo_gear_buyer_beware.html</a></p>

<p>In the early 1960's Pop Photo had an article about this; with mailrordering; ie do NOT assume anything; do some digging; question what one really is buying.<br>

<br /> Jump back to when Kennedy was President and maybe Kodachrome was asa 10.</p>

<p>One might have an advert for a Nikon F; Pentax; Canon R; or Exakta VX series slr.<br>

The bundled 135mm lens was NOT an autodiaphram lens by the camera maker; but a preset (manual stopdown) mystery brand T mount lens; sometimes a slow F3.5 worth 15 bucks.<br>

The never ready case was an aftermarket;<br>

the bundled external light meter was often a 5 buck self powered Jonan Mini;<br>

the 5 free rolls of film was a goober off brand;<br>

The Nikon F or Exakta might just have a waist level finder instead of a pentaprism;<br>

later in the 1960's; If metered on a Nikon F; it was then older version; a T instead of a TN.<br>

the bundled cable release was an off brand;<br>

the bundled mini tripod was a mystery brand stable like Jello in a Hurricane.</p>

<p>I ordered from Broadway Photo and got the phone call telling me I needed a battery, etc...I got suspicious and googled them and found the REAL ratings and stories. When I called back no one would answer, so I had a hold put on my credit card. THEN they called back. When I cancelled my order they were extremely rude and argumentative. I thankfully learned my lesson before the sale went through. I had looked at the ratings attached to their site, and supposed comments from customers before I ordered, but they were obviously fake. It's well worth the extra money to buy from a reputable dealer.</p>

After a bit more research, I found that their domain name is registered by a company in Portugal, but the operation is in Brooklyn, NY.

I guess they are banking on the belief that going through the Better Business Bureau, or another government agency would be too much

effort for most people.