Canon EOS 5 film body "sticky" grip problem

martin_hardy

Hi,

I have recently inherited an EOS 5 film body in as new condition,the only problem with it is the hand grip that doubles

as the battery cover is very "sticky",and is quite unpleasant to hold in use.The glue seems to have migrated through

from the underside of the plastic base,but the textured finish is still solidly attatched to the base,(weird!).I was

wondering if anyone else has had this issue with their EOS 5, and if they had found anything that would remove the

stickiness without damaging the grips finish.I guess it's unlikely i will find a new replacement part, as this camera

has long since been discontinued by Canon.I have also tried a fair few dealers in used camera gear here in the

U.K.,and have so far drawn a blank, and they would probably charge a ridiculous amount for one aswell :-/.

I would really like to use the camera without the "Yuck" factor every time i pick it up.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried cleaning it with extraction naphtha or alcohol? I think you will still find some parts available because

they resumed production of EOS 5 three times but they probably won't worth their price. If cleaning doesn't help you

could just stick a very thin, tough rubber in there (just like in new cameras). It would make your grip a lot more

comfortable and you wouldn't feel stickness anymore.

There is no glue as the grip is simply a molded piece of plastic with a clearcoat finish. The sweat of the prior owner has

turned the plastic "clearcoat" into goo. It was a common problem with the EOS 5/A2E, Rebels and Elans back in the day.

Remove the grip and clean off the remaining clearcoat with lighter fluid. Worked for me but it as a flat cheap look. After

stripping it I sprayed with polyurathane and it lasted for many years. Much better than Canon's finish.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter