Canon EOS 450D for wedding

jemy_chan

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine is having a wedding, and asked me to make some photos for them, there will be a profesisonal

photographer but they just wanted me to take some more pictures, it don't have to be very professional . . its

just some bonuses for them, and something for me to do during the day.

Currently I only have the Canon EOS 450D with he kit lens, I wanted to know if there are any suggestions for me

to get me set for the wedding day . . I think the outdoor pictures shouldn't be too much a problem, but im kinda

worried about the indoor pictures ( low light ). I would like ask for suggestions about the following things:

- A lens for getting good indoor pictures ( it will be very busy so no tripod probably ) in low light condition

- A flashlight ? if so . . any recommendations?

Thnx

If you are just taking some informal photos and there is a professional photographer there as well, I wouldn't worry about

upgrading just for this. Your kit lens will likely be just fine for this purpose. Unless your friend is expecting you to come up

with results that rival those of the professional photog, your 450D, kit lens, and internal flash will do well for this purpose.

As you wrote: "it don't have to be very professional . . its just some bonuses for them, and something for me to do during

the day."

Dan

Personally, I think that out of respect for the hired pro, you should just be taking grab shots--candids. Don't shoot over the

pro's shoulder and don't set up formal shots.

If I were you I'd just set the ISO to about 1000, and shoot using the on-camera flash with your kit lens. That'll get you

some really nice candids that your friends should be happy with, and shouldn't threaten the livelihood of the pro.

<p>To piggy-back on Peter's comments, it just so happens that my daughter's wedding was this past weekend. Awwww.... ;-)

<p>We hired professional wedding photographers and they did a fine job. (I was otherwise occupied - something about

walking my daughter down than aisle and so forth.) But I did bring my camera - a 5D with the 24-105 and the 580 EX II. I

mostly did shots when the "hired guns" weren't there - at the rehearsal and as people were getting ready, but I did shoot a few

frames after the wedding.

<p>To avoid confusion, I spoke to the wedding photographers ahead of time and during the event and told them that I had no

intention of grabbing their shots or getting in the way, and I resisted the temptation to shoot stuff that they set up. In the end,

I got a ton of really wonderful photos that will be different from but complementary to the work they did.

<p>Oh, and I did take one shot of the two of them photographing my daughter and new son in law. If you go <a

href="http://katyregnier.com/news/">there soon you can see</a> my photo of them and the photo that Katy (the

photographer) was taking at that moment.

<p>For the second time... awwwwww...

<p>:-)

<p>Dan

What's the height of the ceiling? What's its color?

If under 4-5m and white/soft colored, I would recommend a 430EX directed towards the ceiling. You also have the

benefit of AF assist plus no red eyes

If not, also the 430EX with a diffuser (handmade?) but directed towards the subject.

For me, a lens with adequate specs for candid shots during a wedding would be, for example, a 70-200mm f2.8

(Canon, Tamron, Sigma?). You can take your shots quietly, without interfering...

I have tested the kit lens, on-camera flash and the default white balance for flash photography on the XSI, and I was thoroughly satisfied with the result. It looked very good as long as you dont shoot too far from the subject.

/bing

If you are going to buy anything, the suggested 50mm f1.8 and the 430EX would be good. Don't photograph anything the pro is photographing, or at least, get a different angle or take on it. Watch carefully so you aren't in his or her way. Otherwise, have fun and shoot all the different and alternative shots you can think of, particularly if the pro isn't covering those parts.

Another vote for the 50 1.8. It will give you two advantages your kit lens doesn't have. Very nice bokeh (blurred background) when set at F 1.8, 2 or 2.8 for portraits. And ability to shoot with faster shuttrer speed indoors and maybe not need flash so much. For $80 it's the best lens bargain out there. Everyone should have one, and once you get it, you'll realize you should have had it with our without this wedding shoot.

Try to shoot at ISO 400 or less for most of it. But you can go 800 or 1600 for indoors if it's dark. ISO 1600 will actually yeild better shots than ISO 1000 because the in between steps add noise.

I have a 50mm prime, but if I were trying to do what the OP described ("they just wanted me to take some more pictures, it

don't have to be very professional . . its just some bonuses for them, and something for me to do during the day") I wouldn't

use it for this - I'd go with the zoom for flexibility.

Always important to keep in mind the needs of the person posting the question...

Dan

My suggestions, being budget conscious and having maximum flexibility are: the EF28mmF1.8 for the lens and the

430EX for the Flash.

If you are really budget conscious then the EF50mmF1.8 is a less expensive lens, but also will be less flexible

inside, and that I understand, is one of the main concerns the part of your question asking for a Lens and Flash

recommendation.

BUT: My better suggestion is you consider IF you will use these items AFTER the Wedding and buy (or not) with a

view to long term usage, not just buying for a one off.

IMO, you can adequately get nice pictures, outside, with what you have. You will be limited indoors, but depending

upon the available light, it is not an impossible task.

How much light you have and your skill level will be the deciding factors as to if you can use the kit lens inside and

get results. You might be able to visit the site earlier so you know how much light you will actually have.

This thread expands on the use of the kit lens, in low light:

http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00PlCx

WW

Though there are good suggestions I cannot suppress the urge to do another:

How about a slightly longer fast lens for headshots and distance candids?

You can leave the wide angle group stuff to the professionals and concentrate on capturing expressions and intimate moments.

You might want to consider the 100mm/f2 or even the 100mm/f2.8 macro.

The first is a relatively tiny telelens with great portrait and low light performance. (And could also be fun for medium-tele-street photography.)

The second gives you an extra set of options in the macro range. Maybe not so much for the wedding as for the rest of your photography life afterwards.

Anyway, the important thing is to have fun. The work part is already handed out to the hired gun,

Regards, Matthijs.

Hi again,

I referred a 70-200mm f2.8 as near ideal zoom for a wedding, I wasn't thinking about the budget factor, as you

didn't refer it. The problem with the kit lens is that its maximum focal distance 55mm (1.6x = 88mm) doesn't

allow you to shoot from a "safe" distance, with risks of interfering with the wedding party "flow" - better leave

that job to the pro.

Additionally, one of the things that most annoys pro wedding (or other events) photographers is the post-event,

when people start comparing their photos with others taken by some invited fellow: with hundreds of taken photos,

even a very good pro will have some crappy shots, but even a drunk guest will have some nice shots. Therefore,

there's always the risk of "even my drunk buddy took better shots than you" type comments!

Summarizing, I would maintain a "reasonable" distance to my subjects and try to let the pro think that is the

only one taking pictures in a systematic way.

Lenses suggestion: the 100mm lenses referred by Matthijs are also good suggestions, especially the f2.8 macro.

>>and shouldn't threaten the livelihood of the pro.<<

That is not going to happen :) The OP will be what is 'affectionatelly' known in the trade as "Uncle Bob"...

I too suggest to just use your kit lens, walk around and take lots of candid shots. The moments that are sometimes

missed during the hurried, must-have shots the pros must take of families, friends, etc...

You could actually provide a very valuable addition to the couple's memories of such special day. But, let the pro

take the pro shots and do your part by taking advantage of your situation. Do NOT try to duplicate the shots the pro

takes. Do your own thing, in your own space and out of the way. Since you are not bound to having to take certain

'must have shots' that pros have to produce at every wedding, you can actually have a lot of fun by choosing unusual

camera angles, moments, people, situations, etc...

Your lighter, self-contained kit will allow you to move about easily and without interfering with anyone or anything.

Just use the kit lens and you are done.

Flash has the advantage of blasting away problematic lighting such as fluorescents, but you'll have to be careful to avoid

dark backgrounds or decide to like them.

If the room is lit by halogen downlights, those have a true colour temperature and are easier to correct for.

If you do decide on available light, either shoot raw or make sure beforehand you're happy with the camera's white balance

correction for JPEGs. The compact fluoros, which are replacing incandescent bulbs here in Australia, can be very tricky to

correct for in Photoshop - the canned corrections don't always work.

Obviously a thumping great shoe-mount flash makes bounce easier, and a second thumping great flash off camera can fix it when bounce

isn't possible. I bet if you get a really interesting shot the pro missed because he coudn't predict a stranger's behaviour no-one is going to

quibble about black backgrounds.

Another vote for a 28 1.8. This lens get some mixed reviews but it produces very nice color and is a great focal length on a

1.6 crop camera. This lens will allow you to do some nice natural light shots and allow you to get wide to normal shots with

out really being in the way.

Folks, read the original post!

"Uncle Bob" (Thanks, Giampi... :-) is NOT trying to emulate professional wedding photographers. He is taking casual shots

at one wedding for fun and to "amuse himself."

He doesn't need to acquire a flash unit that will let him do bounce flash. He doesn't need to acquire a f/1.4 prime for this

purpose. He sure as heck doesn't need to think about the 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS.

My non-photographer sister used her little point and shoot and came up with great shots of my daughter and me coming

down the aisle. These are the kinds of shots that you hope for from someone like "Uncle Bob," and you'll be very pleased to

get them. "Bob" doesn't need to buy any new gear to do this.

Dan

Hi.

I'm Uncle Bob.

I show up to weddings with a PILE of equipment. I snap away like a drunken fool.

First, because I *am* a fool, and second by 30 minutes into the reception I *am* drunk!

If you are taking candids and your primary goal is to "have fun", then you won't be interfering with the photographer. You won't be taking his livelyhood. You won't be roaming the church during the ceremony, right? You won't be taking formals between the ceremony and the reception, right? Just let the photog do his job. . and everything will be cool. When I have been at weddings, I chat with the photographer (just for a few minutes; usually just to be nosey about his equipment; not so much to stop him from doing his job; not so much to stop me from drinking and partying)

For this type of event, the best addition will be a 430EX flash. The kit lens is fine. The on-board flash is fine. But in terms of "bang for the buck"; the biggest improvement will be a 430EX pointed towards the ceiling.

Thank you all for all the suggestions, they are very helpful ! It's true that I am doing it just for fun, but since it's one of my good friends I feel like doing the best I can. Since I still got one month to "prepare" I will take time and considered the given suggestions.

I have never worked with flash. I even hardly use my kit flash because I think the photos look so unrealistic. Ofcourse its true that I never figured out how flah works . . maybe its time to do that :) so I will have to consider if I will be able to use it accordingly.

I started this thread yesterday night before I went to sleep, I live in europe so probably time difference with most of you here. Anyway, thank you all, hope that I could be helpful here in the near future :)

Jem

I think you have the enviable position of not being responsible for anything but have an opportunity to be an absolute STAR.

Your friend chose to hire someone that does this as a profession however chose you specifically to do the kind of shotsw that they know you can do and love you so much for which is why you were specfically asked to do the job.

HAVE A BLAST.

and learn from it.

You have a very capable machine in your hands, what do you see through that lens is up to you.Photograph it. That is what yor Friend wants YOU to do.

Again HAVE A BLAST. :o)