Canon EOS 40D

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by bobatkins, Jul 19, 2007.

1. I don't post unsubstantiated rumors or speculation here, just facts. The CIPA website in Japan was listing the Canon EOS 40D in it's table of Pictbridge compatible cameras as of yesterday. The listing has now been removed, but I took this screenshot of the page that Google had cached. See http://www.cipa.jp/pictbridge/CertifiedModels/PictBridgeCertifiedModels_E.html#DSC_CANON Speculation on what (or when) it will be is pretty pointless, but there is now some hard evidence that it does exist (or will by the fall?).
    00LvnE-37542684.jpg

2. There's supposedly some more detail (speculation) in the current Chasseur d'Images pp 8/9, which also covers the next Nikon which might be called D300. They have an editorial piece online defending their publication of the mixture of fact and rumour that they have pieced together.

3. http://www2.photim.com/accueil/Sommaire.xml?info=1187

(in French)

4. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Given that Canon has had a 10D, 20D and 30D, it is logical to expect a 40D and even a 50D some time down the road. The same applies to Nikon since they have had a D100 and D200, after a potential minor D200s upgrade, the next main upgrades will likely be a D300, D400 .... The real question, as usual, is when, what features are available, and price. The model number alone doesn't provide a whole lot of information.

5. The only thing this suggests is that Canon do plan a 40D and that it may come this fall.

I'd assume that CIPA don't make up model names and numbers, nor do they post things that aren't sent to them by the manufacturers. If that's the case then it's just a slip-up on Canon's part which they have now corrected by having CIPA remove the listing.

The 40D will be a surprise to nobody. It was prediced last fall and this spring. Eventually the predictions will be right!

6. I think C d'I are implying they have some partial leaks of information on both the forthcoming Nikon and Canon bodies.

7. I only hope it will not be a yawn like the 30D (AKA 20D Mk II).

Happy shooting,
    Yakim.

8. My main hope is that it uses the Digic III. That would be the single most important upgrade. I also want it to be better sealed against dust and water. Improved low light and AI servo autofocus would be nice...and lets hope it takes the came batteries and grips. At least 10Mpix is almost a given, and I welcome it as well, although it is not necessary by any means.

Also, a bigger green box would seal the deal for me.

I overheard a customer in Samy's Camera first thing in the morning when the store was empty mention to the manager that he was testing "the new...", then he got really quiet when he saw me. The manager said, "Well, we know it's coming; We just didn't know exactly when."

Only a fool could fail to see that this means the latest offering from Graflex is on the way.

Keith

9. Amen!

I admit to being lost in the numbers.

Canon has both a D30 and 30D.
    Nikon has a D40 and D40X. Canon potentially will release a 40D.

But yes. . .the bottom line is "What will the Canon 40D look like?"
    Hopefully, it will look like more interesting than a 30D with the XTi sensor.

Not that I care much. . .I already spent my summer play money!

10. Keith Lubow, Jul 19, 2007; 05:20 p.m.

My main hope is that it uses the Digic III. That would be the single most important upgrade. I also want it to be better sealed against dust and water. Improved low light and AI servo autofocus would be nice...and lets hope it takes the came batteries and grips. At least 10Mpix is almost a given, and I welcome it as well, although it is not necessary by any means.

YOu get everything you want now except the Digic III chip. Get the 1D Mark III.

11. Please explain how that is so, Anson. If I am asking for things to be "better" (like I did with dust sealing and atutofocus), how can you be correct by stating that I have them now? Explain. I am talking about a $1,500 camera, not a $4,500 camera, so your order to purchase a Mk. III is falling on deaf ears.

Keith

12. How would DIGIC III help people who shoot RAW?

13. "How would DIGIC III help people who shoot RAW?" speed and noise I believe, coupled with a new sensor add some dynamic range ?

14. I'm kinda scared when people Put pictbridge compatibility and a canon dslr in one sentence,

... makes me think about the hated direct print button. :D

15. I doubt Digic III does much at all. It's used in current P&S cameras.

The 1D MkIII uses a 14-bit A/D converter and TWO Digic processors, but I think the dual processors is probably just to boost speed. Assuming sensor noise is low enough, the 14-bit A/D is what may give you a little more dynamic range, not using the Digic III processor.

Let's just hope they can't figure out a way to put face recognition technology in it (tricky without live preview!).

16. A good starting point would be to match or better the viewfinders of the Nikon D80 and Pentax K10D - both cheaper than the current 30D, even now that it is heavily discounted.

17. The 30D is being discounted in the way that American cars have rebates: Only a minority of the market would pay full price for one!

Honestly, I no longer think the 40D could be a $1500 camera. That price point has been eroded by the competition. The only way a 40D could be priced even at $1400 (the 30D entry point) is if the 40D were *substantially* better. And 10mp alone would not be make for a camera *substantially* better . . than the XTi.

Actually. . .DIGIC III could be more important than you think. Noise reduction is one key area. (Certainly for JPEGS, but we don't know how much NR is applied to RAW. .some is applied), Face detection -> coupled with MORE AF sensors would be a great step forward. All you would need would be to light up the boxes in the viewfinder.

Face detection, a new AF system, 12mp sensor, improved noise performance. . . all would be the makings of a new winner $1400 40D.

A 40D with a Digic II and an XTi 10mp anti-dust sensor would simply replace the 30D at the $1000 price point.

18. You can't do face detection without analysing the image and with conventional DLSRs you don't get the image until AFTER you have taken it. There is no preview to analyze for faces!

Face detection would be my least desired feature, even less than the "direct print" button. What's next, "idiot modes" on the 1Ds MkIII?

19. All Canon has to do to get my cash for a 40D at $1300 or so is a bigger buffer (15-20 raw images would be fine), better viewfinder, 10MP, turning that useless direct print button into a customizable button, and whatever techniques were used for the 1Dmk3's high-ISO performance (whether it's sensor improvements or digic 3 or the A/D converter or something else in the chipset). Most of my gripes have been solved already in the 30D, chief among them the RGB histogram and spot metering.

20. "You can't do face detection without analysing the image and with conventional DLSRs you don't get the image until AFTER you have taken it. There is no preview to analyze for faces!"

Good point. Point taken. I have Face Detection on a Canon P&S. Works ok. Guess I got carried away there!

Ok. . .let's focus on a better AF system. ENOUGH with these AF sensors the size of Idaho. Give me 11 midget AF sensors from the old 1 series system. . .and I will sing the praises of the 40D!

21. In-body IS (which I know won't happen this time around), better viewfinder, 10MP would easily seal the deal for me.

Some useful things Canon could add would be RAW button, MLU button, and a program mode where the ISO varies within customisable limits.

It freaks me out that the only thing we know is it is pictbridge compatible. I am convinced the printer division took over designing Canon DSLRs following the 20D/Xt generation.

22. "My main hope is that it uses the Digic III. That would be the single most important upgrade." "Also, a bigger green box would seal the deal for me." That and a bigger print button. The present one is just too small for my fingers.

-- That's it. I'm saving my pennies now. --

23. Bob,

I didn't know that. I thought it was the processor that made the high ISOs so clean on the Mk. III. What I was getting at is that I want upgraded high ISO performance and ISO 3200, similar to the upgrades that the Mk. III got vs. the Mk. II.

Keith

24. I think the direct print button was an addition from the Canon Japan humour division which is charged with putting in one additional sadistic/annoying feature in each generation of Canon cameras.

They were also responsible for the removal of IR-AF assist, ECF and the addition of the epilesy inducing strobing flash.

My guess is this time around we will get an electically heated hand grip that is too hot and not customisable.

25. I can't work out why anyone would want face detection or a direct print button on an slr. I thought people who liked slrs were supposed to like the finer points of photography, not gimmicky gadgets. Point and shoots are for that. Am I getting old?

26. I have it on good authority that it will include auto print button cleaning.

The Dig!C III implies more processing power - the 1DMk3 with its 14 bit A/Ds and 2 CPUs would have more capacity for applying noise cancellation algorithms and/or more dynamic range to move the signal away from the noise floor (for better signal/noise ratio). In the P&S the improved CPU may not be working too hard but a faster CMOS CPU that doesn't overload the batteries gives you more options.

27. Hi,

I am sorry, but as pointless threads go, this must figure very high up on the list.

PN members are frequently derided for posting pointless questions about supposed forthcoming DSLR's and we have so many incredibly tedious threads about the supposed full frame Nikon, or the supposed replacement for the 5D, or the 30D and now we get 'sir' Bob himself starting this one...what on earth is the point?

cheers Steve.

28. I wanna know if they will ever release an improved 5D.. I don't know what they could improve.. maybe the image processor .. .. anyway.. that is what I am saving for.. my 20d is good enough for now.

29. What is the point?

This is a gear head forum! Some speculation about future gear is half the fun!

Remember. . there are plenty of other PN forums to discuss portrait photography, rate photos and whatnot. This PN forum is to wax philosophic about GEAR!

30. One secret, often exploited by psychics, is to predict something that will happen sooner or later in the normal course of things. I am now saving my money for the 50D ;)

31. Keith Lubow, Jul 19, 2007; 06:22 p.m.

Please explain how that is so, Anson. If I am asking for things to be "better" (like I did with dust sealing and atutofocus), how can you be correct by stating that I have them now? Explain. I am talking about a $1,500 camera, not a $4,500 camera,

That's exact my point. If you need weather seal, fast focus... the price is going to be much higher because of the design cost...R+D....At $1000-$1500. not much you can ask for. I want a new Ferrari but I want to pay $50k only. not going to happen, sorry :)

32. Anson; I respectfully disagree.

How much is the 1V? What do you think it would take to put the XTi electronics into a 1V?

33. So, will this Canon 40D be as good as my Instamatic?

34. Jim Larson, Jul 20, 2007; 07:25 p.m.

Anson; I respectfully disagree.

How much is the 1V? What do you think it would take to put the XTi electronics into a 1V?

With all respect. It's more like a canon decision. They cannot or they do not want to sell a weather seal, fast autofocus in the sub $1000 range for whatever reason. They have weather seal, fast AF on the 1D series at $4xxx. That's the bottom line. Dont' like it, pay more or find another vendor for the weather seal, fast AF :) my 2 cents.

35. What goes into a camera (or more accurately what's left out) is dictated mostly by marketing considerations, not technical capability.

36. Keith wrote:

"Also, a bigger green box would seal the deal for me. "

What is a "green box" ?

37. Anson,

Please come back to the discussion once you have looked up the definition of the word "better".

I am not asking for a $1,500 Mk. III.

Keith

38. >> What goes into a camera (or more accurately what's left out) is dictated mostly by marketing considerations, not technical capability.

Bob, can you talk some sense into these marketing guys? :-(

Happy shooting,
    Yakim.

39. "How much is the 1V? What do you think it would take to put the XTi electronics into a 1V?"

Exactly! Canon's profits have been skyorcketing with the DSLR craze because they can put $400 XT electronics into a $200 Elan body, call it a 30D and charge $1300 for it.

40. Geoff Francis, Jul 22, 2007; 08:25 p.m.

Exactly! Canon's profits have been skyorcketing with the DSLR craze because they can put $400 XT electronics into a $200 Elan body, call it a 30D and charge $1300 for it.

Profit up, stock price goes up, share holders are happy. You can't make everyone happy in a way and not making profit :) Isn't that the goal to be in the business? Make as much profit?

41. Keith:

It's canon decision. Nothing we can do. Tell them to make a $1500 weather seal, fastest AF body, I will be the first one to buy :)

42. 3 words: mirror lockup button!

43. Mirrow lock up buttom.... whhhoaaa!
    now that'd be sweet...

44. Anson,

Are you insane? WHERE do you see me asking for the "fastest" AF?

Have you looked in a dictionary to find out what the word "better" means yet?

Keith

45. See the new Canon EOS 40D Preview, written immediately after Canon released details about their new DSLR.

46. Here is a link to the details on the Canon Australia website:

www.canon.com.au/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos40dbody.aspx

47. http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos40d_preview/

WOW!

There is no way anyone can say that any camera performs as well as this thing. Maybe I'm just crazy. Maybe it's just late. REALLY late. But that thing is incredible. I want it. Forget the D3.

48. Obviously the D3 is a more capable machine, but for the price, I am just blown away. I previously owned a D200, and such noiselessness is simply alien to me.

49. Just ran across the first review of the 40D's image quality. Among the conclusions: "The IQ I see in the 40D images from ISO 100-800 is 95% the match of the 5D.... The 40D's tonality and richness in color gives the 5D a real run for the money."

Found at http://wyofoto.com/40D_Image quality/40D_shootout.html

BTW, I have no affiliation with the site, just found it interesting.