Canon EOS-1v ES-E1 cable/software problem

Hi, I'm hoping someone else has had this problem and can help out. I've had the EOS-1v's data link cable and software for quite a few years, and it has always been a bit unstable when it comes to connecting the camera to my computer. At the moment I have a lot of data to transfer, but I just can't get the software to acknowledge that the camera is connected. It always just comes back with "Unable to communicate with camera. Check that the camera is in data-transfer mode and the cable is properly connected". The transfer mode is selected and the cable is connected properly. It's extremely frustrating. Does anyone have a fix or a work-around? Is there a particular sequence I need to be following regarding plugging in, putting the camera in transfer mode, and running the software? Any help would be much appreciated.

Well, I found a solution, so I'll post it here in case anyone else has the same problem... maybe even me down the track :)

With the camera and cable connected, and the original installation CD in the computer's drive, I restarted the computer. It went through a "found new hardware" process and asked if I wanted Windows to look for software. I clicked "yes" and it reinstalled a driver (I think) from the CD, and after that it could detect my camera! I had previously tried to uninstall and reinstall the software without success, so the process I set out above might be the only fix.

I'm happy again :)

Edited by carl_neilson

• 4 weeks later...

Restarting is always good. Some of the older drivers and other connections would need to be "discovered", as you found out.

On the other hand, I have found cables to be astonishingly "flakey". When they are cheap (is there a connection here?) I usually buy several at a time....