Canon EOS 1Ds vs. Canon EOS 5D

jeremy_brown6

I have a chance to buy a used Canon 1Ds for $1,500 from a friend at work. He

had the shutter replaced last year and has made 1,000 shots with the new

shutter. Here is my query.

Should I go with the Canon 1Ds for $1,500 or lay some more money down and go

with the Canon 5D?

FYI: I shoot a majority of my work outside and use only L series lenses.

Reliability is important to me as well as overall construction and creative

control of the camera. Any input from my peers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Well, the 1Ds only goes up to ISO 1250, whereas the 5D goes to 3200. However, the 1Ds has 45-point AF, built-in Firewire, whereas the 5D doesn't. Also, they have the same shutter speed, but the 5D has a larger buffer. Between only those two, I think I'd be included to get the 5D.

I'd get the 5D: new comes with warranty, better LCD, can use larger CF cards, better high ISO

and much easier to carry all day (The 1Ds is a brick). I prefer the simpler dial interface of the

5D but that's subjective.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I've owned them both. IMHO, the only advantage to the 1Ds is the weather proofing. Some would like the 45 point auto-focus too. It's a huge clunker and uses a large battery and charger. I also disliked the user interface that required you to push two buttons at once for every change.

A big difference between the two is noise. The 1Ds at its top ISO of 1250 is about as noisy as the 5D at 3200.

I believe the 5D's smaller battery will give you more shots per charge than the 1Ds. And, as others have said, with the 5D you get warranty, larger CF card capacity and a larger buffer.

The 5D is not really small or lightweight though. If you put the battery grip on it, it has plenty of heft and you'll scare the natives just as effectively as with the 1Ds. Without the grip, it is at least somewhat smaller and lighter. I am mystified that professional cameras are actually larger now than they were twenty years ago. Apparently, some photographers like them big.

Hi Jeremy,

I have the 1Ds and the 5D. They are awesome cameras.

My first Q is... what are you shooting?

The 1Ds is a TANK. Feels like a real piece of art in your hand. Fast AF,weather

proof,reliable,huge VF, but also heavy,a little slow,but FULL FRAME.

The 5D is lighter,HIGH Image Quality,also FULL FRAME, AF slower,no weather proofing,

faster writing rate,bigger LCD.

If you have the money for the 5D,buy it tomorrow. And the 1Ds for back-up. Or...

Buy the 1Ds now,play with it,enjoy it,love it............shoooooooot and when the 5D MarkII

is out buy it. You will have 2 awesome cameras. Now you set,ready to go....... and shoot

more.

Let me know how you decided.

Robert

If you really value construction quality, the 1Ds is as good as it gets - a precision instrument. The 5D has a pro-sumer feel to it, although I packed mine around in the mountains for 2 1/2 years without a problem. Don't forget the 5D also has 1.7 megapixels more resolution for cropping and enlargement purposes.

I can't even begin to tell everyone how much I appreciate the input. I am going with the 5D. I can pick up the 5D with a 24-105mm f4/L glass for $2,700. Plus, I am picking up a Canon EF 24mm f1.4/L for $1000. I shoot landscapes & country clubs and believe these two lenses would suit me well.

Any arguments?

Thanks again everyone,

Jeremy