Canon EOS 10s and 35-80 EF lens and sigma 24-80 lens

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by fusionrx, Oct 30, 2003.

1. I have the opportunity to buy a Canon Eos 10s with a Canon 35-80 EF
    lense and a Sigma 24-80 lense.

I am looking for a basic 35mm SLR setup to learn the ins and outs of
    Photography. I am fairly familiar with the Eos10s body but not so
    much with the EF family of lenses (I have seen only the USM in
    action). Looking through this site I don't see any info on the
    different families of lenses. Can someone help me understand?

Would this be a good starting setup? What kind of shots will this
    setup be good for?? The person using this previously was doing
    landscape photography.

Up until this point in time I have done mainly point and shoot
    cameras.

Thanks in advance,

Dan Magnusson

2. Correction: The Sigma lens is a 1:2.8 24mm lense. Falls into a 'super-macro' category I believe? Experience with this kind of lens?

3. If you are talking about the EF 35-80 f/4-5,6 ...
    ... it is one of the cheap kit lenses. It is plastic, slow, not extraordinary in any aspect. Id say it is 'average'. I personaly own a 28-80 f/3,5-5,6 and I think the EF 35-80 is just an older version. Nevertheless the newer EF 35-80 f/4-5,6 (probably mark II - check it at canons website) has one aspherical element (the 28-80 lacks it).

I dont know anything about the Sigma 24mm - try PhotographyReview.com and read some user reviews

If I were you, I would buy the body with the 24 prime lens and I would get a EF 50mm f/1,8 mark I or II. Great kit to start with. (Or, if you are sure you need a zoom, get the EF 28-105 f/3,5-4,5 USM)

...and if you are just starting - how about starting with some used lower & cheaper body like EOS 50/Elan II ? Then you could get better lenses and I hope you know that it is the lens that makes the pictures - not the body.

4. Can you buy the body without the lenses, or at least with only the Sigma prime ? What is the price asked for ? What is their condition ?

Happy shooting ,
    Yakim.

5. Gettign this camera with just the Canon EF USM 24-85mm zoom would be an awesome starting kit. Or, there is a 24-105mm Canon zoom which I've no experience with. The Sigma 24mm prime is a nice lens for sure.