Canon EFS lenses

My wife has been offered (for $50) a new Canon EFS 18-55. I know

that it is a kit lens but I'm curious about it's usability on her

Canon film bodies. I know regular EF lenses work on the D bodies

but is the reverse true? Can you tell I'm a film and not a digital

guy? Thanks, Chuck

That lens only works on the 300D, 350D, and 20D camera bodies. It extends too far to the rear of the mount for "normal" camera bodies at one extreme or the other (I don't know which one) of the zoom range. If you manage to mount the lens, you're likely to crash the mirror into the lens on a body that it wasn't designed for.

I do believe that the lens is manufactured in a way that you CANNOT put it onto a camera that wasn't designed for the EF-S lenses without some major modification.

As far as price goes, i'd say that's a "fair" price, based on how much it costs new. However, it's not a particularly nice lens, by any regard. I find the images it takes lacking sharpness and contrast, and in general it feels like a very cheap piece of glass.

Not to mention: if you put it on a film camera, it will exhibit some noticable distortion towards the corners, if it doesn't vignette them out completely. Maybe this is what you're going for. If all you're looking for is a cheap wide-angle lens that makes cheap looking pictures, you're on the right track. Of course, you could just spend $20 on a Holga.