I am looking for a portrait lens with good bokesh at a reasonable price - I

would use it on my 5D. I know about the new 85 1.2L lens, but I don't use that

focal length enough to justify the cost. How does the 85mm f/1.8 perform as a

shallow DOF lens - will I just kick myself in the behind for not having spent

$1800? I really don't do a lot of portrait work, but when I do, I like the

eyes to be perfectly sharp and the background thrown out of focus in a Leica

kind-of-way:-)

Thanks for your help and Happy Holidays

Also look at the EF 100mm 2.0. As good as the 85mm 1.8 but gives you just a little more working room or tighter framing for portraits. I use the 85mm more on crop digital but the 100mm more on full frame. Try them both on for size. Good luck.

The 85/1.8 may not have quite the star quality of the 85/1.2L, but hardly anyone who has used it has a bad word to say about it - reasonably well-built, handles nicely with real ring-USM, very good performer optically, excellent value for money. I did a few quick tests with mine that showed it was noticeably, although not hugely, better at f/4 than the 24~105 (whereas the difference between the zoom and the 50/1.4 at f/4 was marginal).

You probably should think about the 100/2 as an alternative. The balance of opinion/tests suggest that the 85/1.8 is marginally better optically, but I think the 100/2 has been rather overshadowed by the 100/2.8USM macro, presumably an indication that not too many users have the wider aperture as their priority at that focal length, compared to the macro capability. Only you can tell whether f/2.8 would be a large enough aperture to achieve the effects you are looking for. If it is, the 100/2.8USM is another alternative to consider.

I have the Canon 85mm 1.8 and it's never been used. Actually I cannot use it until Christmas, it arrived Monday. It will be mounted onto my trusty Canon EOS 5 loaded with ASA 200 Fujichrome slide film and pressed into immediate service for gift openings and lots of shots of our 5 year old grand daughter on Christmas day. So then, anyone with this lens have tips for getting positive results with that creamy brand of bokeh I have read so much about 'out of the box'?

Tag Question:

I'm a long time reader-first time poster here at photo.net, so if I'm breaking with protocol by tagging on and not starting a new thread, by all means let me know.

I have the same question as the original only targeted at 30D users. It seemed like a waste to start a new thread.

Thanks.

Welcome, Joseph. I now use the 85/1.8 on my 20D, having originally used it on film, and the tests I mentioned were in fact done on a 20D (so more differences might show up across FF, but that doesn't matter to you). For anyone for whom price, size, and weight are not an issue, the 85/1.2L II is the way to go. For the rest of us, and I hazard a guess that we are in the large majority, a purchase of that kind depends on (a) establishing a real need for the extra capability, and (b) that the need out-votes the disadvantages. One way to establish the need is to buy an 85/1.8 and see where it falls short, and sell it if you decide to upgrade. That's a whole lot cheaper than buying an 85/1.2L II and finding that it is not what you wanted.

Thank you for the response. I'm in South Korea at the moment and the 85 1.2L goes for around $1850 (1,750,000won) with hood/case, which while barely being within my reach, following your advice, the f1.8 seems the smarter choice. I've had such great results with the 50mm f1.4 that I'm really looking forward to picking up this lens. On a sidenote, due to the popularity and the rather dumpy shape of the 85 1.2L II, people here affectionately call it the "mandu" which is a big meatfilled dumpling.

Again, many thanks.

The 85 won't disappoint under any circumstances in my experience.

I've bought my second after foolishly parting with the first a couple of years ago. Just the same gem.

I also use it with an EF 12 ET extension tube for close-up flash photography with a speedlite and get astonishing results - people, cats etc - which I consider sharper and more contrasty than those from the 100 f/2.8 USM Macro.

It's compact size and light weight have a lot to do with hand-held excellence in the images, IMHO.

George:

I would lean toward using a 35mm lens instead of an 85 for pictures of gift unwrapping. Should be able to gain at least 2 stops with the 35mm, and the angle of view of the 85 is such that unless you're a bit further back from the action, you may have trouble including more than a head shot.

Eric

Eric,

Thanks, I usually shot with my Canon EF 20-35 lens for Christmas day family activities. The EF 20-35 has produced nice results. This year I additionally want to back out of the mayhem and try for some candid photos of family members with bokeh instead of background. That is the EF 85 lens' first assignment.

Both Gentlemen:

I bought the 85 F1.8 and use it on my 20D. I considered the 85mmF1.2II.

I am extremely happy with the prformance of my F1.8, and have no desire to spend more money `upgrading` to the F1.2L.

I second the opinions to get the F1.8 and use it first.

IMO, 50mm and 85mm are the two focal lengths in the Canon EF lens range where there is a really big $ difference in choices and not an equatable performance difference between the L series and non L series.

Regards WW