a little research and it seems that some people complain about the

cheap build of this lens. Is there anyone using this lens that feels

it is an excellent choice? Or should I just get the 50mm F1.8 for

$75.00 and drop my ISO? I know this second lens has an extremely

cheap build to it. Any other lenses in this price range I should be

considering?

Thanks,

James

It one of the sharpest lenses I own - along with my 100 f2 and my 70-200 f4L. It has a non-ring-type USM moter, which isn't as good as a true ring type, but much better than a non-USM in low light (as far as I can tell).

However, for party shots in bad light I don't see how you can avoid flash - better to get sharp, clear flash shots than grainy, blurry available-light ones. Party photography isn't art.

Agree with John. Very sharp lens but not at it's best at f1.4. It is an excellent choice if the focal length fits the kind of photo you want to take. On the 20D, a 50mm is equivalent to an 80mm lens--too long for most cocktail type candids unless you mean to snipe from afar, and f1.4 has very shallow DOF, even on a 20D. Also agree with John about party pix. Unless there is a lot of light or daylight streaming in the room, it would be better to use diffused flash. I would think the kit lens, not used wide open, with diffused flash would be the most versatile, especially since most Christmas party pix don't get enlarged real big. Perhaps a better purchase would be a 580EX or 420/430EX.

50 on a 20D will be too long for tight quarters. you need a 28/1.8 perhaps or a 20/2.8. i was at a halloween party and brought the fifty and with people hanging around and siting down at tight tables, it was way too close most of the time to get good shots. by all means get a 50, the 1.8 is only 75$ and bring it, but also get something wider

i'm with john, ive had the 50 1.4 for 5 years and used it heavily. i'd rather use it, than my 24-70 2.8L. you can always get the 35 2. at least your DOF will be a little better on f2. the DOF for the 50 1.4 at 10 feet on 1.4 is around 6 inches if i remeber right. or splurge for the 35 1.4, but its quite expensive.

Thanks for the advice so far,

I thought about the 580EX, but I?m not sure how proficient I would be with it on such short notice. I?ve tried using flash systems with other cameras and I?ve never been completely satisfied with the results. I think I would need to spend a good deal of time with the flash to get the results I want. However, using the 580EX with the kit lens may be the best option.

I looked up the 28 1.8 and it is at the upper end of what I could afford. Not sure that is the best rout for me at the moment. Same goes for the 35 1.4 (oh I wish I could afford that lens!).

Tim, it sounds like you have been happy with the build quality of the 1.4? 5 years of heavy use. The DOF would be a problem at 1.4. I guess if I?m going to close it down I might as well get the 1.8 version. If you set it at F2 and drop your ISO to 400 can you take pictures in somewhat low lighting conditions? I tried using my 70-200 F4 in a gym a few weeks ago and I had to drop my ISO to 1600/3200. Although most of the photos were fine at 4x6 (and a lot of Photoshop), I would not have been able to go up to a 5x7.

I?m going to ask if I can go into the room and see just how light it will be. I can set my kit lens to 50mm to see how effective that size lens would be.

And wow, what a great photo!

-James

it all matters how much light is in the room of course. i would use the word "bright" to describe a room where you could use iso 400-800 with f4-5.6. w/ a 50. when purchasing equipment, i always try to think ahead. buyers remorse is no joy. buy what your going to need again. a flash(420 ex is fine) and a wide lens if any money left over. the 50 just doesn't sound like its going to get you what you need for a xmass party. not on digital. now correct me if i'm wrong everyone. the DOF stays the same when you put the lens on a digital , right? i mean a 50mm is still a 50 mm except for the crop factor. right?

Flash on a 20D is extremely simple - it's spot flash metering. As long as you are aware of where the active focusing point is you won't have a problem. If it's on a caucasian face or midtone object, your exposure will be fine as is on eTTL. If it's on a dark object, turn down the flash a stop. If it's on a white object, turn it up a stop (using the camera controls - it's very quick and easy - you can do it without looking and see the setting in the viewfinder).

I don't know about the 1.8 - but so far I have not been happy with any non-usm lens for low light focusing.

You might also consider a macro.

A 50 is still a 50 but to get the same FOV on a 20D you have to move back from the subject thus giving you more DOF than if you were shooting the same FOV with full frame. A 50 is also too long on a 20D for the xmas party.

If at all possible I would forget trying to use a fast lens here and opt for some thing like the 20-35mm f/3.5-5.6 . Although slow it has fast USM focusing and is sharp enough for party pics (and more). It's also relatively cheap. Combine this with a 580EX and bounce off the ceiling if at all possible. Shoot RAW and keep ISO at 400 and above to give flash easy time. job done.

I found that the 24/1.4 L is the best "all around" lens on the 20D. Perfectly balanced. It's

expensive, but you can keep it forever and ever. Buy it used and you can always sell it for

what you paid.

It's the equivalent of a 38mm which is almost perfect for party pics, environmental

portraits, and general vacation shooting. If you take off the hood, you can use the 20Ds

built-in flash for fill when working a party room (remember, Canon lifted the built-in flash

higher to accommodate larger diameter lenses). Before trading in the 20D for a D5, I'd say

90% of my 20D shots were taken with the 24/1.4.

Because of the 24's greater DOF, and with the use of fill flash, you can use it wide open to

capture the ambient light behind the subject and shoot lower shutter speeds than with a

50. Christmas parties are as much about capturing the environment as the people.

Here's a few from my own Christmas party. I set out the 20D/24, adjusted the controls,

and only God knows who took these shots ... I think I did the "Bad Santa" one, but by then

the Champagne was in control ; -) The "troupe" performing for my guests that night was

Fire Fabulon.<div>00E3uD-26331184.thumb.jpg.5477009efd3afc84da59bc6018e041f0.jpg</div>

Available-light photography can be both artistic and lovely. However, the depth-of-field of party pix shot at f1.4 is not going to make anyone happy. A flash and your kit lens at f5.6 may not produce great art, but it will result in photos that will please 'most everyone. If finances are limited, spend what you have on a good flash (the 580 if you can afford it) and a Stofen diffuser.

I do alot of journalistic & party settings. #1. I would avoid a 50mm even though it may be in range for several photos. #2 Fill flash should be welcomed vs. avoided. When I'm in group settings many shots must be anticapated rather than planned. Let me suggest the 24-105 IS.

Advising James to buy a 24/f1.4 or a 24-105L isn't very helpful when he made it clear up front that he has a limited amount of money to spend.

James, much as I love my 50/f1.4, it is totally wrong for this assignment. You need a mid-range zoom and a good flash. The 580EX is extremely easy to use, especially if you get a good diffuser such as the Stofen, and has plenty of power. At f5.6 or f8, your kit lens will be quite sharp enough for party pix unless you're planning to print them as murals.

The 50 1.4 is well constructed for wedding work, and the best choice for available light work by far IMO in canons line up. There are many times that i find myself in need of the 1.4 over the 1.8 so i would highly recommend spending the extra $ for the 1.4. I happened to be working on a few 1.4 shots while browsing this post from last weekends wedding. Sharp enough? I think so.<div>00E441-26338484.jpg.b3c7510e270a9c43854558ee6a8134d7.jpg</div>

Yes, you could do the whole thing with the 50 1.4, but for optimum versatility, you may want to also consider a zoom. You won't be happy without flash in this situation. With flash, you could use the 17-40 f4L very effectively and it is not as expensive as the other L zooms. With more money my preference would be the 16-35 2.8L and the 50 1.4. That would give you 100% party coverage.

Don't question your own judgement on flash. Get the 580EX and learn to use it. Throw a stofen omnibounce on it and you will get some great exposures. It works great on ETTL-II with the 20D on P mode. You can use iso 400, 800, and even 1600 and get the shots you need.

If you are really strapped for cash and need the minimal equipment, that 50 1.4 is an investment you will not regret. You can buy the less expensive Sigma 500 Super flash - but trust me you will eventually get the 580ex anyway.

Lou

Why shouldn't a more expensive lens be considered Dave? A 20D and 70-200/4L is pretty

"up there" both in quality and price. IMO, people on a budget need to stop buying NEW

gear and let someone else take the depreciation hit.

The philosophy of skimping on the glass is a fool's errand. It devalues instantly, degrades

all the money you put into the digital camera itself, and is less reliable.

The 50/1.4 isn't a bad lens, it too long on a 20D for the application. A 80mm equivalent

isn't the solution.

If one can't afford the right tools for specific job, then rent them.

Most lenses are not at their best when used wide open, so the 50mm 1.8 used at 1.8 is not better than the 50mm 1.4 used at 1.4.

John--the 20D with ETTL II is not focus point biased and isn't flash spot metering. Evaluative flash metering with ETTL II is supposed to use an algorithm that takes into account all metering segments, along with any distance information available without the heavy focus point bias as in the original ETTL.

James, as you can see there are many differing opinions about what lens is appropriate for the situation. That's because every photographer approaches a situation differently. Most of the time, party pictures involve candids of people, sometimes a single person, but mostly in groups of 2-8, along with the "official" group photo of all the people there. If there are any activities, you take candids there. Most of the time, a wide option is necessary due to space limitations. It is hard to get unobstructed candids of people, especially groups, during cocktail hour, for instance, with a telephoto, or even "normal" lens. It is also hard to get a big group shot with a telephoto--might be impossible, actually, if you are using a wide f-stop and the camera handheld, since DOF will not cover rows of people.

You have hit upon the best thing to do--test the actual situation and see if what you have in mind is workable for the kind of shots you are envisioning, keeping in mind the DOF you are likely to have with wider f stops, as well as the fact that you will be hand holding the camera.

If you opt to use flash, you might want to read up on Canon flash at this website--photonotes.org/eosflash. If you opt to use the built in flash, there is a diffuser made for such flashes--made by Lumiquest--which slips over the flash. Also, there is nothing preventing you from using the kit lens at f5.6 with in-camera flash for some shots, and the 50mm 1.4 handheld, no flash, for others.

Your original question--there have been reports of the 50mm 1.4 falling apart, and it may or may not be more delicate than other lenses, especially L lenses. You have to remember though, that different photographers stress the lens at different levels. I have had mine only since March this year, but I use it every weekend and many times during the week on jobs. I am also light on my gear--I tend to be careful and take care of my stuff. I would not hesitate to buy the lens, if that is what you have figured out you want. There are always going to be lemons.

(I shoot 35mm with the nFD 50mm 1.4 and FL 58mm 1.2)

One thing faster lenses have going for them in low light events even when using flash is the brighter viewfinder image. This makes composing (and focusing if using manual focus) easier. Also, if you're using manual focus, the smaller DOF helps.

Thanks for all the input, it has helped to put things in perspective,

Marc - I agree about skipping on the glass. The only reason I have the kit lens is because it was the same price as the body alone when I purchased the 20D. When I purchased the 70-200 my photos took and incredible step up in quality. The only reason I'm considering the 50mm is because I've read how sharp the glass is. The 50mm 1.4 is the closest "sharp lens" in my budget at the moment.

Nadine - Thanks for answering my question on the quality. I'm glad to hear it is working for you. This lens is difitely on my "soon to own list."

After reading all these posts it seems that I need to learn how to use a flash system. At this point I?m thinking I will purchase a flash and use my 18-55 kit lens for this job. I'm going to re-read through Bob Atkins review on this lens. He had some information on what F stop to use for best results. If I have any extra money before the job I will pick up the 50mm 1.8MKII. I?m going to do some senior photos this spring so I will probably pick up the 1.4 at that time.

Nadine - thanks for the link. I looked through it briefly and it looks great. I?m going to read through it as soon as I get a few moments.

People on this thread have mentioned the 580EX and the 420/430EX. The specs obviously look better on the 580EX, but I believe the 430EX is newer. In real world use, does the 430EX work better (newer technology) with the 20D? It looks like the 420EX is no longer being offered, is that true?

Thanks again,

-James